Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school curve  (Read 1757 times)

casper86

• View Profile
    • Email
Law school curve
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:57:05 AM »
I didn't pay attention to curves in college, because I figured as long as I got A's it doesn't matter to think about it. Now,obviously I do care now that I got one of my grades back from my first semester, a B- in contracts ( 5 units) and an intro to law class a B ( 2 units). I am still waiting for the grade for my other class that's 3 units. Anyhow, do I have to get mostly A's to be in the top 25% of my class? Basically, did I already ruin my chances to have a good academic standing?

I know that the top 25% of the graduating class at my school had a 3.434 and above.

Thank you!

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
Re: Law school curve
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
Yep.  Game over.  Drop out now.   ::)

Obviously its first semester, and you can still pull your grades up...

A good friend of mine started with a 3.1 his first semester.  He ended first year with a 3.45 (#16 in our class).  Learn from your mistakes.  You can absolutely improve on your grades.  A lot of people are burnt out second semester and end up dropping off. 
íMe cago en la leche!

casper86

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:49:46 AM »
Thanks so much for the advice!

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »
Note that it is a lot easier to move up in rank if you class size is on the small size. My school had a huge 1L class- over 450, so a moving up 50 isn't going to be as big of a leap as it would be if there were only 150 in the class. And remember, some law schools get rid of curves after the first year. I know mine does, so basically everyone always does much better grade wise 2 and 3L year, but they stay in the same region in rank
UMiami c/o 2010

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:36:51 PM »
This will field most of those "what do I need to finish where" type questions (and most other questions about a school):

http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndlsdir_search_quick.asp
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

cooleykid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »
I didn't pay attention to curves in college, because I figured as long as I got A's it doesn't matter to think about it. Now,obviously I do care now that I got one of my grades back from my first semester, a B- in contracts ( 5 units) and an intro to law class a B ( 2 units). I am still waiting for the grade for my other class that's 3 units. Anyhow, do I have to get mostly A's to be in the top 25% of my class? Basically, did I already ruin my chances to have a good academic standing?

I know that the top 25% of the graduating class at my school had a 3.434 and above.

Thank you!

Well I'm top 10% (ranked 11/842), law review and national moot court which are all rank and GPA based in part and I've got a 3.6. At Cooley all three years are on a curve. Someone must fail in each class, and the median grade in most all classes is between 2.1 and 2.2. If your getting all B's then you must be busting your ass as hard as I am. Keep it up!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:42:52 AM »

Thank you!

Well I'm top 10% (ranked 11/842), law review and national moot court which are all rank and GPA based in part and I've got a 3.6. At Cooley all three years are on a curve. Someone must fail in each class, and the median grade in most all classes is between 2.1 and 2.2. If your getting all B's then you must be busting your ass as hard as I am. Keep it up!

Well... Oh never mind, too easy. ;)

I'm starting to wonder if you're just a reasonably well done troll.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.