Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: thank you notes after offer?  (Read 3037 times)

havocness

• View Profile
    • Email
thank you notes after offer?
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:08:52 PM »
i had a callback, and the next day i got an offer. is it still necessary to send thank you notes or should i just forget about it?

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: thank you notes after offer?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 11:11:58 PM »
i had a callback, and the next day i got an offer. is it still necessary to send thank you notes or should i just forget about it?

Thank you, I accept.

Or.

Thank you, but I must decline.

:)
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

havocness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 11:35:51 PM »
i'm thinking the kill-two-birds-with-one-stone thing is the way to go too :)

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »
If you're considering taking the offer, but are still deciding, send thank you notes. I'd send them even if you're not, just to have good manners, but if you might end up there, definitely send them. From now until the end of next summer is basically a long interview (fun and all, but the increasing number of no-offers firms were giving out make me want to err on the side of caution).

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »
No need to be so hostile, YBR. It seems like more than bad firms are having to no offer or cold offer summers that would have gotten jobs in other years, some admitting that the SA's were perfectly fine candidates. And no, a thank you note probably won't make a difference, but why not just err on the side of good manners?

havocness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »
actually, i just accepted the offer today. i think i'm going to send thank you notes that also say "i look forward to working with you this summer" :)

offer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
No one said that sending thank-you notes insulates a summer associate from being no-offered, YellowBrickRoad.  However, everything you do from now until offers are given reflects on your character.  Why would you not send a thank-you note?  Can you not spare the few minutes it takes to do so?  You don't know what's going on in the minds of the Summer Associate Committee members you interviewed with, and you don't know what kind of impression a thank-you note is going to have on them.  As I said before, while there are only a few outright deal-breakers, everything counts.

offer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:17:46 PM »
To answer your question in your post that you deleted, YellowBrickRoad -- yes, I have done a summer gig before -- two actually, during my 1L and 2L summers, and I received offers from both of them.  I hope you have, too, with all the "advice" you are plastering on these forums.  When I said "everything counts," I never said to stress and become anxious over every little thing you do.  If you've ever played sports before, then you know that everything counts in some sense or another.  Like you said, "most" people won't notice if you don't send a thank-you note, but some may.  Also, like you said, sending thank-you notes is the "polite" thing to do.  Then why not do it?

offer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:23:43 PM »
Also, YellowBrickRoad, summer associate programs are not "three to four months long," as you claimed in your post that you deleted.  Three to four months is 12-17 weeks.  Most programs are 10-12 weeks.