;

Poll

Who got the worse deal?

The class of 2009
 11 (39.3%)
The class of 2010
 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: In the current downturn in the legal market  (Read 2616 times)

The Thread Starter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In the current downturn in the legal market
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
Class of 2009 probably got better gigs than they would have this year but there are a decent number of people who got hosed with no-offers/cold offers (from what I hear).

Class of 2010 probably will not get gigs as good as comparable candidates in the class of 2009 but maybe they're more likely to get real full-time offers?

Discuss.

AOCenteno

• View Profile
    • A Tailored Suit
Re: In the current downturn in the legal market
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:22:52 PM »
So many factors to consider.....top grads from top 15 schools will still get great offers, it's the bottom 1/3 / grads from less reputable schools who will suffer and bear the brunt of the recession.  I've talked to numerous people looking to stronger foreign economies for work.....a friend of mine received an offer from a German company that he is thrilled about.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »
So many factors to consider.....top grads from top 15 schools will still get great offers,

There is no such thing as top 15 law schools. Which is number 15?  Vandy? UT? UCLA? USC? Or is it Notre Dame or WUSL?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »
So many factors to consider.....top grads from top 15 schools will still get great offers,

There is no such thing as top 15 law schools. Which is number 15?  Vandy? UT? UCLA? USC? Or is it Notre Dame or WUSL?

Its like being considered for the hall of fame in baseball or football-

if you have to ask then you're not in.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »

Its like being considered for the hall of fame in baseball or football-

if you have to ask then you're not in.

That's exactly my point.  Many would argue that Vanderbilt is the one, but on the other hand, as many would argue that UCLA or UT is the one. 

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »
That's exactly my point.  Many would argue that Vanderbilt is the one, but on the other hand, as many would argue that UCLA or UT is the one. 

Many would argue that the original point was perfectly clear without quibbling about the definition of T15.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:36:12 PM »
I agree with YBR....the class of 2009 (or at least those going to firms) got hosed.  Lots of firms no-offered about 10% of their summer associates.  That's crazy!

On the other hand, it's probably the 10% who just got lucky with grades, but didn't have the legal reasoning ability or writing ability to do all those damn memos who didn't get offers. :)

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:33:59 AM »
It ain't over yet.

I thought that 2011 would be at least somewhat safe, but Bernanke and Paulson have been doing their utmost to fvck up the markets so badly that we may be in even worse shape by then.  If they continue down their present course of dollar devaluation, we could very well end up having a major global economic collapse.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
It ain't over yet.

I thought that 2011 would be at least somewhat safe, but Bernanke and Paulson have been doing their utmost to fvck up the markets so badly that we may be in even worse shape by then.  If they continue down their present course of dollar devaluation, we could very well end up having a major global economic collapse.

Don't worry.  Obama will have been president for while by 2011, and Change will have swept over the world.  The world of 2011 will look quite like Star Trek.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

Veil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:43:08 AM »
I'd be careful with assuming that the 10% of 2009 students who wound up not getting offers were the ones who "didn't have the legal reasoning ability or writing ability to do all those damn memos":

a) Social faux pas;

b) Many firms give their summers busy work/work that does not require any (or much) legal reasoning or writing ability;

c) The economy has proven to be reason enough to no offer/cold offer those that don't have folks with sway to vouch for them, regardless of their work product or social skills;

d) The economy has proven to be reason enough to whip out a list of summer associates, close one's eyes and point to the 10% of the class who will not receive offers.