Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Complete and Accurate List Questions in Logic Games  (Read 1194 times)

Craving Oyer

• View Profile
Complete and Accurate List Questions in Logic Games
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:06:05 PM »
There is one particular logic games question I am consistently missing or having to take much longer to answer correctly:
"Which of the following could be a complete and accurate list of...?"

Anyone have particular suggestions for how to handle this question type?

Thanks!
December LSAT: 162
LSAC GPA: 3.05 (3.65)

jonstar

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Complete and Accurate List Questions in Logic Games
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:33:11 PM »
Same way as how you attack any other list question.  Try to apply the rules, refer to your main diagram, or use some hypotheticals that you might have established along the way. 

blairchuckalways

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN data
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »
I actually find complete and accurate easier than just "partial list" or "a list" -- this is what I do:

First, if I had a straight "which one of the following is an acceptable list" question, I look at my answer for that and see if I can eliminate any answers based off it for my complete list question.

Then, I look and see what variables the answer choices have in common, and which variable is the stand out. Say X is only in choices A and D, but Y is in answers A-E. So I know that Y has to be in the correct answer, no bother testing it.

Then, I try to create a hypothetical with answer X and Y (and anything else I want to fit in that's used frequently in the answer choices). If I am able to make a hypothetical with X, then I can eliminate any answer that doesn't have X. If not, then I can eliminate any answer that has X.

At this point hopefully you've noted trends during your creation of hypotheticals to eliminate the other answers as well. If not, test them individually to find out which one works.

If you have trouble with this type of question, since it can take time, I'd advise you skip it until you've finished all the other ones for the game.

elitney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »
My tip appears diminutive, but often in these questions a fallacious entity will be placed more then once, if this is the case, simply attack the entities appearing most often, as they can eliminate multiple answers.

-edit- the guy above is right tho, obviously an entity in every answer is a correct one! so dont waste your time with those :)

I do not think that you should simply stomp through it if you don't have to.

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 02:21:25 PM »
First things first, check your previous hypos, 9 times out of ten this will eliminate an answer choice or more, and probably half the time it will get you the correct answer with no additional work.

When you have to start testing, I don't think there's really any consensus about whether to test the choice thats in the most ACs (of course you don't test anything thats in every one) or the one thats in the fewest. If you go with with what's in the most, and it doesn't work, then you've just made a huge step towards getting the right answer. But if it does work, then you've not done yourself much good.  If you go with the one thats in the few ACs and it does work, you're golden. But if it doesn't, you're screwed. Moral of the story: Make sure you check your hypos (including correct answers from list questions earlier in the game) before you start testing.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

elitney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »
Good point, my mind just is able to deal with CANNOT WORK easier then CAN WORK. Or maybe I always get lucky! =P

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 12:13:30 AM »
There is one particular logic games question I am consistently missing or having to take much longer to answer correctly:
"Which of the following could be a complete and accurate list of...?"

Anyone have particular suggestions for how to handle this question type?

Thanks!

You have to be careful with these, because they're not all the same.  It might say, "complete an accurate list of the items that could be ______" or "complete and accurate list of the items, any one of which could be ______."

tbj2102

• View Profile
    • Commentary and Criticism on Everything
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »
Also, keep in mind that if something is asking for "complete and accurate," the answer choice "X, Y" will be incorrect if "X, Y, and Z" can all be in the list.

Therefore, all else being equal, I recommend starting with the longest list and seeing what you can eliminate.
Retired LSAT teacher