Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waiting on a letter to be processed  (Read 1341 times)

gtg931r

• View Profile
Waiting on a letter to be processed
« on: September 10, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
So i have my apps done, except I'm waiting on one recommender's letter to be processed. He sent it around Aug 20, but still hasn't made it through the system yet. My others 2 recs are in.

Should I wait until the last one clears? Or perhaps a better question, do I have to wait? Or can I send everything on to the schools -- since most go "complete" with only 2 letters? And if I do that, when the third letter finally clears, will it then be sent automatically to the schools I've already applied? I'm just a bit confused how this part of the process works and couldn't sort it out from the LSAC website.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting on a letter to be processed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »
Katfid, do you know which schools those are? I know a bunch won't take letters after the file goes into review, but since review isn't going to start for a while at most schools, doesn't that mean there's still some window?

gtg931r

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 05:47:52 PM »
I actually answered my own question by calling LSAC today. They said what happens varies by school, but most either get an automatic update of your LSAC report when a new letter is submitted, or they get it the following week or two weeks. It depends on their particular policy, but it DOES NOT mean that if your LOR gets processed after you application as been sent (and even after it has gone "complete") that the law school will not get it. It only means it may be a week or two weeks before it is actually sent to them.

So I guess if you apply later in the cycle and your LOR comes in weeks after your application has gone complete, it may not be seen when the application is being reviewed, but I think that this early in the cycle, you shouldn't run into that problem.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »
How is your wait for the recommender going, Katfid? My wait hit another(!) bump in the road today and I was this close to becoming homicidal!

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »
Yeah, I had all my recommenders fax in their letters. Both my academic recs are in, and since I'm applying straight from undergrad, those are the most important.

My employer, who has had the form since May, keeps telling me that he'll take care of it, and it's becoming increasingly frustrating. I think it will be a really strong rec, I'm just tired of waiting for it. Today they told me that it probably won't be until next week that they send it in. Infuriating.

I've sent in about half my apps, since the 2 academic recs make my app complete. I'm just hoping they can get this one in ASAP.

isustudent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »
If I met with my professors at the end of August... how long should I wait before asking them when they sent stuff in?  I told all of them I wanted to apply as soon as possible.  I know two of the three say they have, but I haven't heard from the third.

When would be appropriate to email, and possibly tell them about faxing?