Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to wear to a 2nd callback and accepting your offer  (Read 4696 times)

JbooklynD

• View Profile
What to wear to a 2nd callback and accepting your offer
« on: September 10, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »
I'm heading in for my second callback Friday w/offer in hand.  Do I need to put on a suit?  Or can I dress appropriately for the office? (bus. cas.)

Also, does anyone see a benefit to accepting the offer in the office after 2nd callback vs. waiting a few days and calling? 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What to wear to a 2nd callback and accepting your offer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 09:55:34 AM »
What do you mean a "second callback with offer in hand?"  Do you mean a second call back at a firm that's given you an offer?  And if this is the case, then how is it really a second call back?  What's the purpose of this second interview?  Or is this your second callback in the OCI process, and you're already received an offer from another firm where you interviewed first?

More information, please!

JbooklynD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 10:00:35 AM »
Sorry if this was not clear.  I have already received an offer from this firm.  Like most firms, you are encouraged to return for a "second callback" (or whatever you'd like to call it) to meet with more attorneys before making a decision.  It is purely informational, as I already have an offer.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 01:34:29 PM »
I would wear whatever the firm dress code is then, or perhaps a little dressier.  If you're a guy, and the firm's attorneys typically wear khakis, I'd wear dress pants, but maybe not a suit.

That's my take though, and others may (will?) disagree.

JbooklynD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »
any other thoughts?

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »
without a doubt, wear a suit.  an informational meeting is still part of the overall application.interview process (with that said, so is your actual performance as an SA).  If you are going to their office to meet with a couple partners, dress appropriately, i.e. suit.  If your informational interview is at a happy hour, then business casual is probably ok.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 08:29:45 PM »
of course it is still part of the process. presumably, your end goal is not merely to get an SA gig, your end goal is to get a perm offer. if office dress is bus casual, then dress bus casual when you work there.  if you're going in for a follow up interview, dress like its an interview.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 08:58:51 PM »
of course it is still part of the process. presumably, your end goal is not merely to get an SA gig, your end goal is to get a perm offer. if office dress is bus casual, then dress bus casual when you work there.  if you're going in for a follow up interview, dress like its an interview.

It's not part of the interview process.  The tables are flipped, and at this point, the firm is going to go out of their way to get you to accept their offer. The applicant becomes the interviewer.  So even calling this a "second interview" isn't really a good description.  It's a follow-up for the applicant to decide whether the firm is the right fit for him/her, whereas the first callback is sort of the other way around.  And I say that as long as the applicant goes in looking professional and pulled together, then it's fine. 

I wouldn't say that you should walk in wearing khakis and a polo.  But a pair of dress pants, a nice shirt, and a tie would be more than good for a biz casual firm.  Of course, if the firm is biz formal, wear a suit.

Harvey Dent

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nothing bad ever happens on the dirt road...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »

It's not part of the interview process.

Isn't the SA gig itself part of the interview process?
LSN

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
The SA gig IS part of the interview process, essentially.  But it's important to look where the power is.

The OP has an offer.  He's deciding whether to take it.  It's his/her own, additional investigation into the firm, it's culture, it's people.  It will NOT be any kind of formal interviews.  It will be him/her visiting with the people on a more personal level to gauge whether the firm is a good fit.  When YOU have the power, you no longer need to wear a suit if no one else at the firm wears a suit, IMO.

Once you're in the SA program, the power shifts back again.  You're competing for a permanent offer, and you're back in interview/impress mode.