Law School Discussion

Acceptance prospects for over 40 year old Blk male with 170 LSAT and 3.1 GPA

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
Re: Acceptance prospects for over 40 year old Blk male with 170 LSAT and 3.1 G
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 10:54:06 PM »
I wouldn't rule Harvard out.  You'd be an atypical applicant, that's for sure, but I think Toby just might take a chance on you.  Anything's possible!  Good luck to you!

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 01:42:41 AM »
Thanks ACE.

Question: what's "OP"? I am not up on the lingo.

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 01:45:10 AM »
Naturally,

Harvard's GPA range looks like a stretch.

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 04:00:56 AM »
Thanks ACE.

Question: what's "OP"? I am not up on the lingo.

original poster

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »
got it. Thanks ACE.

naturallybeyoutiful

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 12:38:55 AM »
Naturally,

Harvard's GPA range looks like a stretch.
ITA.  And yet...

...HYS usually have higher GPA requirements, but your grades are in the past, and you've accomplished a lot since then.  Write a good essay (and meet with some admission people), and I think you'll even get into Harvard. 
I think this is spot-on. 

Hence...
I wouldn't rule Harvard out.  You'd be an atypical applicant, that's for sure, but I think Toby just might take a chance on you.  Anything's possible!  Good luck to you!
:)

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 06:44:22 AM »
Lindbergh,

Does applying by January change you view of HYS prospects? Yes, the work experience has been substantial in its accomplishments. GULC is of interest because of it location and my considering working for the SEC or Justice Department.

naturallybeyoutiful

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 10:09:30 AM »
I was thinking more about your post, and I just wanted to add one more point.  --> I encourage you to come and visit the campus and see HLS in action if you haven't already.  I definitely think you have a solid shot of getting in here (esp. since your GPA probably came from an era with little grade inflation), though I wonder if you'd feel that the school has too "young" a vibe for you. 

For example, I can pretty much guarantee that every other black male in last year's 1L program was age 24 y/o and below, with the overwhelming majority being around 22 or 23.  This year's 1L class seems even younger than ours, though that's purely anecdotal.  In my experience, most black students here are fresh off undergrad, and I can only think of 2 black males and about 10-12 black females that took more than one year off before starting law school.  (I realize this is a large school, but I do pride myself on knowing most all the black students across the JD program.)  The only older black students I see on campus tend to be foreign attorneys (mostly African) earning LL.Ms. 

I'm sure the numbers of older students are somewhat better when you look across the student population as a whole, but they are pretty paltry all around.  (That's another reason why I think you actually may get in.)  Thinking about my section in general, there was only 1 guy over the age of 30 and he was just barely that.  Most everyone else had just graduated or had taken a year off.  There was a 1L section last year that seemed to have the bulk of the handful of older 1Ls (I forget which one), but I was told it was the one without any 8 am classes so that the parents have time to drop their kids off at school.

Notwithstanding what I've shared, I recognize that at this stage in your life you may not necessarily coming to law school to make friends, enjoy the social scene, connect with black students, etc.  Given your interests and background, you are bound to find a group of people who have done or aspire to do similar work.  That said, I would also hope that you find a law school where you don't feel like you're surrounded by a bunch of young whippersnappers (if such would bother youl).  In that regard, a school like Northwestern (or GULC as others have suggested given your background) may be a better fit.  Just my $0.02.

naturallybeyoutiful

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 07:35:28 AM »
To me, the idea of turning down HLS because it doesn't have as many people the same age seems insane.  This kind of social stuff may matter when you're fresh out of UG, but for anyone in their 30's, I doubt it will be much of a concern.  .
Understood.  That is why I said....

...Notwithstanding what I've shared, I recognize that at this stage in your life you may not necessarily [eta: be] coming to law school to make friends, enjoy the social scene, connect with black students, etc.  Given your interests and background, you are bound to find a group of people who have done or aspire to do similar work.  That said, I would also hope that you find a law school where you don't feel like you're surrounded by a bunch of young whippersnappers (if such would bother you!).  In that regard, a school like Northwestern (or GULC as others have suggested given your background) may be a better fit.  Just my $0.02.

It really comes down to priorities and fit.  Besides, the OP is not "in his 30s" as you stated, but rather as the title of the post describes he is "over 40."  At that age, I would imagine that (a) the whole age issue could be so unimportant that his response mirrors ours above or (b) it is a cause of concern when choosing a program where he might be twice the age of say, 9.7 out of every 10 students he meets.  Law school is a three-year investment, and the age gap could give pause to someone over 40 and perhaps even approaching 50.

Bottom line is - The age thing may or may not factor in the balance if it were your decision or my decision to make, but since it's OP's decision to make (and since he's coming to this board for general advice anyway), I thought I'd bring it up given my impressions of the student body at my school.  I don't think it should be the sole determining factor (esp. b/c anyone who reads my posts knows how great I think HLS is), but I also don't believe in choosing Harvard b/c it's Harvard either. ymmv

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 08:48:17 AM »
To me, the idea of turning down HLS because it doesn't have as many people the same age seems insane.  This kind of social stuff may matter when you're fresh out of UG, but for anyone in their 30's, I doubt it will be much of a concern.  You'll be focused on studying anyway, and any lack of social distractions will probably be a positive.

Bottom line, graduating from HLS gives you advantages and security NU and GULC simply can't offer.  The only reason I can see for turning down the former for the latter is a full-ride scholarship.

That's just my opinion as well, though.

I think these decisions are very personal.  That said, yours seems to be a rather narrow view of law school.  I didn't come to law school to make friends, for sure, but having them around certainly picks up my spirit at times.  I don't know if I could do it without them around.  Moreover, networking is really important and may be much harder for someone  in the OP's position given the environment Naturally described.