Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sidley....Help  (Read 1297 times)

climbingstars34

• View Profile
    • Email
Sidley....Help
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »
Hey, so I'm entertaining an offer from Sidley Austin in NY, my only other offers have come from firms that are ranked more around the Vault 50-60 category.  Seems like a no-brainer that I should pick Sidley in this economy (for stability, $, etc.).  Not to mention I really liked it there when I visited (as much as one can tell from a callback).  I guess my only question is whether the hours are going to be so insane that its better to go for a V50-ish firm with a bit less stability and hardly any bonus money.  Any thoughts on my situation, or on Sidley itself are appreciated.

lola2008

• View Profile
Re: Sidley....Help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »
Go to Sidley.  The hours are all the same.  If you're unhappy you can move to the V50-60 in 2 or 3 years.  You can't move from the V50-60 to Sidley.  This is, I think, an easy decision.

Veil

• View Profile
Re: Sidley....Help
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:26:06 AM »
I agree that the hours will be the same...but with one caveat. Your hours at most large firms ("large" being defined here as any firm on the vault 100, however inaccurate that may be) will depend upon what practice group you join within the firm. Unfortunately, you'll likely get a good sense of how busy practice groups are, or intend to be in the future, only after you accept a firm's offer.

If you have the oppty to pick the brain of anyone who knows "inside information" regarding any of the firms you are considering, you should take it. Feel free to PM me if you don't mind disclosing the other firms you are considering and I may be able to chime in as well.

Good luck.