Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: schools that emphasize lsat over gpa  (Read 3028 times)

adxx83

• View Profile
schools that emphasize lsat over gpa
« on: September 09, 2008, 12:23:03 PM »
what east coast schools emphasize lsat over gpa?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: schools that emphasize lsat over gpa
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:38:24 PM »
Doesn't every school?
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »
Every school except Berkeley that is?
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

hope4harvard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:43:59 PM »
that is pretty much every school--why do you think people spend thousands of dollars prepping and months studying for the lsat

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:46 PM »
that is pretty much every school--why do you think people spend thousands of dollars prepping and months studying for the lsat

TITCR
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

adxx83

• View Profile
Re: schools that emphasize lsat over low gpa
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 10:22:53 AM »
my fault in terms of having a poor gpa. my stats, 2.5 GPA and 162 LSAT.

been out of school for 2 years (i hear the more distance put between a poor undergrad and applying to law school equals better chances), worked at the local bar association for a year doing family law, and currently working at the 2nd largest foreclosure law firm in the state. rec. letters and experience are great.

from the south so would be an out-of-state student in the east coast (new york, DC), looking to stay within tier 1. thanks for any suggestions

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »

been out of school for 2 years (i hear the more distance put between a poor undergrad and applying to law school equals better chances), worked at the local bar association for a year doing family law, and currently working at the 2nd largest foreclosure law firm in the state. rec. letters and experience are great.

from the south so would be an out-of-state student in the east coast (new york, DC), looking to stay within tier 1. thanks for any suggestions

I don't think 2 years is really enough.  I think you'll have a hard time getting into a top 50 school if that's what you're aiming for  :-\

princealberto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 11:53:34 AM »

Your LSAT of 162 is probably not high enough for your Tier 1 goal. The bottom schools in tier 1 have, at the worst, 75th percentile LSAT's of about 162, and average GPA's over 3.1. A 2.5 is just too hurting.

If you had a 170, it would be different. Also, and this could change things, I think, if your grades improved at the end or you have a really interesting life that may help you. (The things you discussed may make an impact.)

Basically, what I'm saying is that if you really want to do tier 1, you should try to eek out those last 8 points to get to 170. (I know, no *&^% you should try to!) You'd be sitting way prettier for tier 1.

adxx83

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:56:05 AM »
maybe 3 years? what time frame for work experience would be appropriate? or maybe a higher lsat score?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »
maybe 3 years? what time frame for work experience would be appropriate? or maybe a higher lsat score?

It's not completely about the time in the middle - it's what you do about it.  Graduate school, higher LSAT, demanding job...  You need to prove during this period that you're better than a 2.5 student. 

PJCITCR

And a higher LSAT score would never hurt- probably the best thing you could do