Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: non-trads, with the benefit of hindsight would you do it again?  (Read 5190 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: non-trads, with the benefit of hindsight would you do it again?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
law school beats the hell out of working for a living.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 02:15:58 PM »
All of it.  Even the bad parts.

Ditto.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 11:04:54 AM »
To the nontrads who posted: thank you for your insight, and your optimism. It's funny, there are nontrad undergrads with those wheelie bags as well...and with the "I-wash-my-kids-mouths-out-with-soap" bizarre, off-topic additions to the class discussions.

For myself, I did not do so well on the lsat, but I am interested in law, esp. public advocacy and criminal law (OK... so that's all I've been exposed to so far). I am a word nerd and a work horse, and I think I'm meant to be a lawyer. I figure debt will be just a part of my life, even with consolidation and income contingent repayment plans.

Define "not so well on the LSAT."  Honestly, in this economy if you can't get into a top school you are insane for taking on the debt of law school.  You will end up bitter, unemployed, and buried under mounds of debt while having lost 3-4 years of your life.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 11:50:03 AM »
To the nontrads who posted: thank you for your insight, and your optimism. It's funny, there are nontrad undergrads with those wheelie bags as well...and with the "I-wash-my-kids-mouths-out-with-soap" bizarre, off-topic additions to the class discussions.

For myself, I did not do so well on the lsat, but I am interested in law, esp. public advocacy and criminal law (OK... so that's all I've been exposed to so far). I am a word nerd and a work horse, and I think I'm meant to be a lawyer. I figure debt will be just a part of my life, even with consolidation and income contingent repayment plans.

Define "not so well on the LSAT."  Honestly, in this economy if you can't get into a top school you are insane for taking on the debt of law school.  You will end up bitter, unemployed, and buried under mounds of debt while having lost 3-4 years of your life.

Or you can go part-time, work as a law clerk and get four years experince and graduate debt free. Point is there are ofther options if people want to be a lawyer bad enough.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 12:44:47 PM »
Correct, I work and attend school Part-time and will graduate nearly debt free, however, I still stand by my argument that in this economy going to a second-rate law school is a risky venture.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
Correct, I work and attend school Part-time and will graduate nearly debt free, however, I still stand by my argument that in this economy going to a second-rate law school is a risky venture.

and of course "second rate" = "any school lower ranked than the one youre attending"
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »
Any school outside the top 25-30.  I'm not going to bicker with you about this either.  I have landed summer associate positions.  It's a fact that better ranked schools = more opportunities.  I'm not saying it is right, I'm just saying it is the way it is.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 01:20:19 PM »
Any school outside the top 25-30.  I'm not going to bicker with you about this either.  I have landed summer associate positions.  It's a fact that better ranked schools = more opportunities.  I'm not saying it is right, I'm just saying it is the way it is.

I think there is something to be said for good regional schools, I'm only looking for a job in the city where I go to school, and my t2 has kept me employeed for 4 years now with open offers after I graduate. I think its what your looking for, for me it was PT in a city where I wanted to live with a program that intrested me. So far 100% happy with my decsion and job prospects. I likely would not be if I was looking to move away, but I would not have gone to law school in a place I did not wnat to practice in the first place. Local connections seems to have trumped rank, at least for me.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 01:22:53 PM »

oh, i'm not going to bicker.  one has more chance of changing the earth's rotation than an elitist's attitude.  i guess some people always need someone to be able to point to and say "thank god i'm not in their position!"

i will not disagree that there are "more opportunities" -- i will disagree that attending any school outside the top 30 is a "risky venture."  that's just ludicrous. 
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »

oh, i'm not going to bicker.  one has more chance of changing the earth's rotation than an elitist's attitude.  i guess some people always need someone to be able to point to and say "thank god i'm not in their position!"

i will not disagree that there are "more opportunities" -- i will disagree that attending any school outside the top 30 is a "risky venture."  that's just ludicrous. 

Your earlier posts indicate you went to law school to save the world.  Now that you are no longer disillusioned, the reality of your lack of meaningful job prospects is setting in.  No wonder you get all defensive when people make an opinion about lower ranked law schools.