Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ropes & Gray Info  (Read 7276 times)

t14troll

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ropes & Gray Info
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 01:03:52 AM »
Would buy again.  A++++++++++

lol. You bought Ropes & Gray? lol. Which office? lol.

They're a dime a dozen after today.  BUY BUY BUY!

lol. I don't think they're publicly listed! lol.

CItyGirl35

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 10:35:04 PM »
A classmate of mine is going there this summer.  It's very white-shoe, in Boston their Summer class size is 100+ people.  Not as big in NYC, I don't think.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 02:42:29 AM »
A classmate of mine is going there this summer.  It's very white-shoe, in Boston their Summer class size is 100+ people.  Not as big in NYC, I don't think.

The NY office is definitely not white shoe.  It is very chill (its all Fish & Neave guys who are the least pretentious people I have ever met).

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 03:31:32 PM »
tag re: boston market.

In Boston, I liked the Goodwin people better, but I wanted to do litigation; Ropes is probably better for corporate.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »
Extremely prestigious.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »
It's not.  I'm not very prestigious. :-\

Actually, my usual counter-argument is that a prestigious Boston firm will see good cases (even bet the company type stuff, but Ropes & Gray doesn't do much litigation, right?), and even compiling a privilege log on one of them would be good exposure to top-flight clients and work.  When and if you try to leave, I'm sure that the name and even work will serve you well.

I think that the small number of people might be your future employers.  How many people know of the University of Chicago Law School?  Very few, compared to the general populace.  But they're likely to hire us.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 05:34:07 PM »
Does Goodwin do a lot of appellate litigation?  What type of litigation do they do?

I'm also totally uninterested in corporate work.  Just looking at a term sheet would give me a headache, I think.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 07:02:33 PM »
It's not the OP's question, but fwiw, I liked the people better at Goodwin better than Ropes (and liked both better than Wilmer).  I guess Ropes is generally considered more "prestigious" though.  I think if I went to Boston I would have went with Goodwin.

Not to be cynical, but isn't it kinda tough to find a representative sample?  I've heard that you generally meet no more than 6-12 people at these firms -- kinda like a jury, now that I'm reviewing CivPro.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »
Is it possible to hate someone after knowing them for a day?   ???

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 09:21:22 PM »
Haha, yeah there were one or two firms where I disliked literally every person I interviewed with.  And there were a few where I really liked everyone.  For me I felt like I was splitting in trying to distinguish the firms, so how much I liked the people at the firm ended up being one of the biggest factors in my decision.  I don't know how wise it was to make my decision based on 5 or 6 people I met with...but there wasn't much else to go on.

I think judging a firm based upon the people the decide to put in front of you can be a quite reasonable criteria, especially depending on the size of the office. (I tended to do interviews at offices of 25-65 attorneys, so finding 3 or 4 partners I really like, in a practice I wish to do, could be pretty important.)

Also, I agree with bosco re: it certainly being possible to like or dislike someone a lot based on a 30-minute interview (or a lunch). There were definitely firms where I liked everyone, and other firms where I disliked everyone, and theis heavily swayed my opinion on firms.