Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anna Ivey Consulting?  (Read 2268 times)

chicagocubsrule

• View Profile
Anna Ivey Consulting?
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:22:32 PM »
Has anyone used them? If so do you recommend them?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Anna Ivey Consulting?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »
I've read her book and I like what she says
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

coelomate

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:41:23 PM »
Her book is the best I've picked up on law school admissions so far. It's straight form the horses mouth - she was an admissions dean - and you see a lot slip through that makes you go 'oooooh, guess I won't do/have to do that now!'

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:50:39 PM »
she's really, really expensive.

rcamp28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
I highly recommend them, I just used them for their 'Stage 1' package and it was well worth it. You can work with her associates which is less expensive (this is what I did) and they are very knowledgeable. What's great about their service is that before you even speak to them they spend hours looking over everything you submit (P/S's, LOR's, Transcript, Resume, etc.), they also require you to fill out a 6 pg. questionnaire so that they can find out more about you. When I finished answering those questions it ended up taking up about 18 pgs.

The one thing I will say is that the Stage 2 price (comprehensive consulting for entire process) is extremely expensive. I could not afford to do it, but if I could and I had some iffy things as part of my file I certainly would've done it.

Overall extremely positive experience with them.

jroc1111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »
Would you mind telling us exactly how much the service you used cost? Thanks!

YuAnli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:59:21 AM »
I think the Ivey guide is a good start, however I think its missing a lot of information(purposefully) to lead to pick up a coach.  If you look on the web you can find a lot of programs offering admissions help.  Your best bet is to call up a few programs and see exactly what their experience is: how long they've been providing admissions help, what their credentials are( did they work in an admissions department, did move from teaching the LSAT to providing admissions help). 

I am without a doubt sure that Anne Ivey can provide reliable guidance help, but there is the cost factor, and with that she was the dean of U of C.  If you are considering top tiered schools, look for someone with expeirence/knowledge of top tier schools.  If not, find a coach who can provide you with the most information for what circumstances you are in.  LoyolaUC and U of C will be looking at different factors SO...yes a coach is the right move if you considering it, but find the right one that fits you.  A Porsche 911 is a great car and handles very well, but you maybe be better suited driving a Nissan Pathfinder if you live in CO--find a coach that meets your needs