Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Least Favorite Questions:  (Read 1810 times)

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
Least Favorite Questions:
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:13:03 PM »
What are your least favorite interview questions?

I'll start:

What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses? (or worse yet, "3 strengths and 3 weaknesses")

intel

• View Profile
Re: Least Favorite Questions:
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:16:27 PM »
After 25 screening interviews and 4 callbacks i have not had a single person ask me about strengths/weaknesses. it is such a trite and tacky question, i think an organization would lower in my estimation if they asked me it. i mean seriously what are they trying to discover from your answer, how well you prepare answers to stereotypical interview questions? because that is really all it reveals. for my part, OCI has been surprisingly pleasant, mainly consisting of conversations about the experiences and interests of myself and the interviewer. and that actually makes the thought of a strengths/weaknesses question all the more hilarious: i couldn't even imagine an interviewer changing gears and asking me a super serious yet laughably tactless question like that with a straight face.

antsor5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
what was the most difficult or challenging situation you encountered at your job and how did you over come this?

blah

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »
Interviewer:  Of all the things on your resume, which makes you the most proud?

Me:  I'm proud of everything on my resume.

I got an offer at that one.   8)
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

Visual Dictionary

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:28:30 AM »

I would have dinged you for failing to answer the question, but whatever.  Good work.
Yep.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:29:54 AM »
Initially I really disliked the "is there anything else you'd like us to know about you?" at the very end, but then I kind of started to have fun with it.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:31:36 AM »

I would have dinged you for failing to answer the question, but whatever.  Good work.

tbh, he restated the question and I actually answered it.  My initial response was a delaying tactic to decide on my actual answer.

But it seems it didn't hurt.

Initially I really disliked the "is there anything else you'd like us to know about you?" at the very end, but then I kind of started to have fun with it.

I hated "is there anything YOU'd like to know about US" more.

No.  I really did read what your website said, and short of you introducing me to everyone at this office in a non-work setting, nothing else will help.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:32:24 AM »

And that's why they won't send you out on recruiting trips when you're at a firm  :P

(teasing)
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:51:32 AM »
"Tell me exactly how you manage your time with everything you do during the day, from waking up to going to bed."

I gave a rubbish answer (no call-back), but should've taken the time to go into excruciating detail about my least pleasant personal habits throughout the day and evening.  I don't ever want to work for a guy who fancies himself as the master of my 'waking up to going to bed' existence.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 08:02:06 AM »
"Tell me exactly how you manage your time with everything you do during the day, from waking up to going to bed."

I gave a rubbish answer (no call-back), but should've taken the time to go into excruciating detail about my least pleasant personal habits throughout the day and evening.  I don't ever want to work for a guy who fancies himself as the master of my 'waking up to going to bed' existence.

Ha - it was maddening when I went through OCI because of stuff like this.  I had a couple of interviews where it didn't go well because an attorney was a total asshat and either asked the same question 3 times (apparently, he really wanted to know WHY I wanted to work for Firm X, completely ignoring the fact that Firm X is a bad firm in my market and no one really makes Firm X a first choice) or questions like you got.  At the time, I just came up with whatever answer I could to keep the interview going.  But after the fact, I kept coming up with snarky comments that I could've said instead.