Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Failed the MPRE!  (Read 18485 times)

legalkitty09

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Failed the MPRE!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »
Umm...the LATEST BarBri out of all the questions I practiced were the hardest (Practising Law Institute and PMBR).

They forced you to discover the most obscure exceptions that are just not noticeable.

I mean the actual MPRE isn't that taxing but the BarBri should have been enough.

Now my question is, did you just ZIP through the questions without going over the questions you got right and wrong.

I mean anyone can do questions, but reviewing the explanations is half the battle.

I will be awaiting you answer and then I will give you some advice.

I DID go through the explanations. I found that crucial! And I agree that the BarBri questions did address the most obscure exceptions. When I took the MPRE, I actually thought the BarBri questions were tougher, but apparently not. So annoying!!

legalkitty09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 11:14:38 AM »
I think this thing isn't posting right??

Anyway, I agree that reviewing the explanations was crucial and ultimately very helpful. I also agree that BarBri did utilize the most obscure exceptions. And when I took the MPRE I actually thought the BarBri ones were harder. Apparently not. ARGGHH!! It has just really shaken my confidence.

legalkitty09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 11:53:31 AM »
Also, do you think I should retake it in November? Do you think there is an intellectual benefit to taking it right away, or should I wait until March? Because I was just studying for it a short time ago.

Thanks for your help!!!

Keeton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »

[/quote]

For all of you who are recommending the BarBri books, do you have another suggestion? I did just that, and did FINE on all of the practice tests, yet here I am, having to take it again. Help!! ???
[/quote]

I used Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) Review: 2008-2009 Edition (Emanuel's Rigos Bar Review Series) (Paperback)by James J Rigos (Author).   I thought it was helpful and the questions, imho, were much harder than the barbri examples.  Passed with 30 points to spare.  Good luck.

legalkitty09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 01:41:08 PM »
I was thinking that one might be the way to go. I think I am going to do that, and still go to the BarBri course, since I have already enrolled.

Thanks!

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
Question - if I take the mpre and fail it and take it again before the bar exam and I pass it - will employers be able to see that i Failed it? Just wondering, I am supposed to take it tomorrow but haven't prepared all that much.

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
Question - if I take the mpre and fail it and take it again before the bar exam and I pass it - will employers be able to see that i Failed it? Just wondering, I am supposed to take it tomorrow but haven't prepared all that much.

I seriously doubt they will even ask about the MPRE.  Everyone I know wasn't even asked about the bar exam much less the MPRE.  You have to pass it to get your license so if your licensed they don't care.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:25:32 PM »
To the original poster, if you're bad at standardized tests, you should be concern about the bar exam.  Depending on your jurisdiction, if you do very well on essays, you can make up what you lack on the multiple choice part. 

I have said this before, I'll said it again, the MPRE is not an easy exam.  It is as hard as the Bar exam itself, just shorter. 

bob99

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 02:04:39 AM »
I'm sorry, but the MPRE is probably one of the easiest tests I ever took while in law school.

I studied for a combined total of between 5 and 6 hours, mostly just reading barbri outlines with maybe an hour of practice questions and I got a 99.

From statistics, it looks like not very many get lower than the passing rate: http://www.ncbex.org/fileadmin/mediafiles/downloads/Bar_Admissions/2007stats.pdf

I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you can't pass the MPRE after you put significant work into it, you should probably try to take the easiest bar exam possible.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 02:20:26 AM »
From statistics, it looks like not very many get lower than the passing rate: http://www.ncbex.org/fileadmin/mediafiles/downloads/Bar_Admissions/2007stats.pdf

Wait! Page 19 of that document has a bar graph of numbers of attorneys that states admitted in 2007 by various methods, including by "diploma privilege." For real? Do some states still allow diploma privilege, i.e. you can be admitted to the bar without taking the bar exam as long as you graduated from a school on the state's approved list for diploma privilege?
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06