Law School Discussion

Too late for a tutor?

*devo*

• View Profile
Too late for a tutor?
« on: September 08, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
I will take the October LSAT and my score has only improved about 3 points from my diagnostic. My worst section was games but I am almost perfect on games now.  Unfortunately, LR on the newer tests has almost negated my improvement on games. I have read the LR bible but can't seem to get over the hump. My untimed LR is strong, but certain problems (assumption, flaw) take up too much of my time.

Is it worth it to sign up for 5 hours of private tutoring through Powerscore or would I be better off taking as many timed tests from here out? Thanks in advance.

Re: Too late for a tutor?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »
I can't speak for Powerscore tutoring, but I can speak from getting tutoring about the same time as you last year.

Keep in mind this could very well be the tutor, but my score dropped right before I started tutoring and came back up only the week before the exam and ended up doing about the same as I did before the tutor, so in my case it didn't help at all.

I think a major part of the problem is not physically having enough time to internalize the concepts.  Take this with a grain of salt, and also consider the posts of whoever else posts after me.  But if you're not ready come October 4th, and you think you will eventually be able to do better, you might be better off waiting for a later test/cycle.

*devo*

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick response blueskies. Your response is what I kind of thought all along, but I am feeling desperate so the tutoring seemed like a quick remedy.  

Truth be told, I already signed up for the tutoring and I am debating whether or not I should cancel.

As for knowing if I can really improve then deciding whether to postpone or not, I don't even know anymore. I came into this prep knowing the test was learnable, but I haven't gotten over the hump. I have always felt like I could beat this test and my goal was at least a 160, but after months in the mid-150's I am quite frustrated.

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:01:50 PM »
I am feeling desperate so the tutoring seemed like a quick remedy.

Meh.  Some tutoring is better than none, but I don't expect 5 hours to remedy much.

I think a major part of the problem is not physically having enough time to internalize the concepts.  Take this with a grain of salt, and also consider the posts of whoever else posts after me.  But if you're not ready come October 4th, and you think you will eventually be able to do better, you might be better off waiting for a later test/cycle.

TITCR

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:48:19 PM »
If you have a specific issue that needs further explanation, then yes, get a tutor.

Like if you have trouble with grouping games, or assumption questions, or weaken questions... these are things that can be fixed with the help of a tutor.

But if you can't pinpoint where you are going wrong, then a tutor might be a waste of time and money.