Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC forum  (Read 3130 times)

dutchtowner

• View Profile
    • Email
LSAC forum
« on: September 08, 2008, 03:17:05 PM »
Any of you old folk gonna be at the LSAC forum in the ATL this weekend?  :)

If you are, look for the old fat man that looks lost, 8) that'll be me!

Hoping to talk with a few admissions people to answer some questions!

Ciao,
Dutch

dutchtowner

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAC forum
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
no takers, eh?   ;D

I'll do my best to represent non-trads!  Headed there tomorrow, hoping it's a productive day!

Dutch

catmommy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »
I was there!

catmommy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »
It was worth it for me.  I heard some good recommendations about the LSAT (don't take it back-to-back and don't take it more than twice), I learned about FAFSA (it sounds like everyone needs to apply to demonstrate genuine interest in the school), and I talked with recruiters from the schools I'm interested in.  It was a good investment of my time.

dutchtowner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »
catmommy was there?

I didn't see you.   ;D

Or maybe I did.

Johnny C if I used one word to describe it it would be LOUD.  I was amazed they didn't at least have the rows divided with some sort of sound baffling.  It was like talking to someone in a  full sports stadium.

Overall I'd say it was worth it.  Informative for sure and I'd say well attended. Some of the counselors/law school reps were good and answered questions; some were just going through the motions.
The local school tables were the most busy.   Seems things were localized except for the t14 schools and they had business as well.

I had hoped to be more impressed with J Marshall of Atl.

The questions I asked the most were:

Is the LSAT in December too late for merit scholarship consideration?
How old is your oldest student?

I got varied answers.  Probably about 70-80% said that I'd still get considered for the most part in merit money if my numbers were good.  About 10-20% did say it was getting late in the cycle.

The rep I was most impressed with was an admissions guy from Tulane.  He said Dec was getting pretty late and that I should be sure first of all to make sure that the LSAT was prepped for properly EVEN if it meant waiting a year more. (Earlcat might want to see that!!)

I stayed there about 3 hrs and it did give me some direction.

There were a few more oldie-hopefuls there than I anticipated and most admissions folk weren't fazed at all that an old guy was inquiring.

Dutch

catmommy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »
Hey Johnny:  All I can tell you about FAFSA is that one of the law school recruiters saw the FAFSA application as an indication of the applicant's interest in the school.  If the FAFSA application was not submitted, the recruiter felt that the applicant wasn't really interested in attending her school.  Hope this helps.  CM

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 03:46:27 PM »
Aren't we not even allowed to submit FAFSA until after January 1st?