Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How often do Tier 4 lawstudents land 2L summer associate gigs?  (Read 5439 times)

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
How often do Tier 4 lawstudents land 2L summer associate gigs?
« on: September 07, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have been researching the question above and I cannot
seem to find much data.

I am a tier 4 student in my second year with median grades, lots of extra curic's but no law review or moot court, and my 1L summer I worked as a clerk at a small law office. I am in so cal and my school enjoys a strong regional rep.

I know my chances at landing a 2L summer associate position is slim.

I am really looking for success stories or feedback regarding how slim my chances really are.

If I don't land a 2L SA position, what should or could I do with my 2L summer? I really could use some income.

Thank you for your time,

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: How often do Tier 4 lawstudents land 2L summer associate gigs?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »
Hate to say it, but I'm afraid your chances are slim to none unless you have some crazy connections (i.e. you are the son/daughter of a 20M/yr client). Most firms will only consider the top 5% or so at a tier 4 school. It may be snobbish and unfair, but that's generally the cutoff. Usually that cutoff is only deviated from under extraordinary circumstances. Additionally, most firms do the vast majority of their hiring through OCI. Since you are asking the question, I'm assuming that boat has already sailed.

My advice is to start networking aggressively (search around for old posts from Matthies on the subject).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 07:09:51 PM »
Hate to say it, but I'm afraid your chances are slim to none unless you have some crazy connections (i.e. you are the son/daughter of a 20M/yr client). Most firms will only consider the top 5% or so at a tier 4 school. It may be snobbish and unfair, but that's generally the cutoff. Usually that cutoff is only deviated from under extraordinary circumstances. Additionally, most firms do the vast majority of their hiring through OCI. Since you are asking the question, I'm assuming that boat has already sailed.

My advice is to start networking aggressively (search around for old posts from Matthies on the subject).

Thanks for the straight answer.

I have been networking lately, joining local bar associations, and attending some events. I plan to become much more aggressive however.

Do you have any suggestions for alternative employment opportunities for 2L summer?

OCI has not arrived at my school yet, but I know, I most likely will not benefit from such a program although I will participate if permitted.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »
Outside the top of your class at T3/T4 you're not getting a traditional big firm SA job, but of course it always holds that the only time you really have no chance is when you don't apply.

Apart from your traditional big firm SA jobs, if you are looking for a paid position I would consider:

medium / small firms
fellowships (such as various ABA ones)
paid federal or state gov jobs (attorneys general, alphabet soup agency)
paid research assistant

Good luck !  I'm a former T3 student and almost had a paid 1L gig through an ABA fellowship, I don't think school name matters much with those.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 08:49:55 PM »
Don't bother with OCI if you don't have the grades.  Start networking like crazy! 

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »
Outside the top of your class at T3/T4 you're not getting a traditional big firm SA job, but of course it always holds that the only time you really have no chance is when you don't apply.

Apart from your traditional big firm SA jobs, if you are looking for a paid position I would consider:

medium / small firms
fellowships (such as various ABA ones)
paid federal or state gov jobs (attorneys general, alphabet soup agency)
paid research assistant

Good luck !  I'm a former T3 student and almost had a paid 1L gig through an ABA fellowship, I don't think school name matters much with those.

THANKS. greatly appreciated. Goodluck to you in your career.

Where are some places to look for the job positions you listed? ABA website?

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »
Just a couple of examples:

Steiger Fellowship in Antitrust / Consumer Protection Law
http://www.abanet.org/antitrust/at-law-student/at-js-project.shtml

Peggy Browning Fund (workers' rights, etc.)
http://www.peggybrowningfund.org/
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:35:51 AM »
Just a couple of examples:

Steiger Fellowship in Antitrust / Consumer Protection Law
http://www.abanet.org/antitrust/at-law-student/at-js-project.shtml

Peggy Browning Fund (workers' rights, etc.)
http://www.peggybrowningfund.org/

Cool thanks.  could you provide the link with all the fellowships so I can search for more? Those two were expired.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 06:09:07 AM »
Biglaw is probably out of the question, but you can try for small firm gigs, government jobs or public interest. Networking is key, so do take the time to attend every little wine & cheese hour or talk your school hosts. I certainly didn't feel prepared to do it right after graduating from law school, but you could go solo.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 03:00:01 AM »
Biglaw is probably out of the question, but you can try for small firm gigs, government jobs or public interest. Networking is key, so do take the time to attend every little wine & cheese hour or talk your school hosts. I certainly didn't feel prepared to do it right after graduating from law school, but you could go solo.

Thanks,

Do small law firms/ medium firms offer summer associate positions?
Are these normally unadvertised?