Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going to the Chicago LSAC law school forum on Oct. 11th?  (Read 5596 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone going to the Chicago LSAC law school forum on Oct. 11th?
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »
I'm planning on going.  Is anyone else going to be there? 

Also, I have a question for those who have gone to a LSAC forum in the past.  What is the dress-code?  Is casual ok?  Business casual?  Surely suits wont be expected, will they?
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Anyone going to the Chicago LSAC law school forum on Oct. 11th?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 07:42:22 PM »
I went last year in Atlanta, and I dressed business casual, partially  because I was coming from work.  I think I actually dressed nicer than I usually did on Fridays (because I didn't want to wear jeans to the forum).  But, I don't think I saw anyone wearing suits.  I would say casual or business casual is appropriate.  Just don't look like a bum, because you might be meeting the people who let you in :D
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »
Eh...not really.  I don't think it really did me any good.  I didn't have any questions that I needed answered, and I don't think showing my face and talking to people got me in anywhere that I wouldn't have already.  And it didn't help me get in schools where my numbers weren't good enough.  Apparently some adcomms there make a mark on the sign in sheet if they talked to you and really liked you or really didn't like you.  I don't think I asked cool enough/bad enough questions to get me any marks   :-\

But really...I don't think its worth the gas and the hotel room if you're not already there.  I'm not going again this year.  Unless you go to Atlanta...I might meet you there  ;)

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 09:45:19 PM »
Eh...not really.  I don't think it really did me any good.  I didn't have any questions that I needed answered, and I don't think showing my face and talking to people got me in anywhere that I wouldn't have already.  And it didn't help me get in schools where my numbers weren't good enough.  Apparently some adcomms there make a mark on the sign in sheet if they talked to you and really liked you or really didn't like you.  I don't think I asked cool enough/bad enough questions to get me any marks   :-\

But really...I don't think its worth the gas and the hotel room if you're not already there.  I'm not going again this year.  Unless you go to Atlanta...I might meet you there  ;)

Holy *&^% blueskies. You are working it in every thread.  :o

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:47:54 PM »
haha you started it!

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:51:36 PM »
Haha  :D   Actually I lied...I'm not going, I didn't realize it was next weekend.  I'm still LSATing

Haha and I'm sorry you don't notice my blatant come-ons

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »
I'm planning on going.  Is anyone else going to be there? 

Also, I have a question for those who have gone to a LSAC forum in the past.  What is the dress-code?  Is casual ok?  Business casual?  Surely suits wont be expected, will they?

Is this for students already in the application process? I wonder if I would benefit . . .

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 08:56:17 AM »
I went to the New York one too.  Most people were dressed business casual.  There were a few people all decked out in suits, and then a few in ripped jeans and Uggs.  It probably doesn't matter, but I'd be embarrassed if I didn't look put together.

Come prepared with questions for each of the schools you're interested in.  I only had questions for a couple of schools, and at the rest I was just introducing myself and just grabbing viewbooks.  This is fine too I guess.  They expect a lot of people just to be gathering info, not deep into their research yet.  I only got one fee waiver, but it was from a school I was planning on applying to anyway, so it was cool.

I feel like I got a better sense of some of the schools, and slightly changed my list of schools to apply to.  I only spent an hour there, out of an 8 hour day because of transportation. So it could have been a waste of time and money, but I think I got enough out of it.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »
I'm heading up to Chicago on Saturday, but I think I'll just drive back down that evening.

Any suggestions on those "stand-out" questions that encourage the rep to put a little "+" next to your name?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
I was considering it, just because I wouldn't mind going to a LSAC forum, but its a 6 hour drive. I read where blueskies says is not worth the gas and hotel room, and I was definitely considering driving in on Saturday and staying the night.  I guess I could also use it as a stress relief vacation (from that crazy LSAT on Saturday) and get some shopping in and order room service lol.  I have a room reservation so I guess I'll decide by Thursday.