Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida Certified Legal Intern  (Read 3200 times)

MonicaMargoux

• View Profile
    • Email
Florida Certified Legal Intern
« on: September 07, 2008, 07:05:28 AM »
I go to school in Florida and evidently Florida requires students to complete the character and fitness section of their bar (whether they plan on applying for the Florida bar or not) to act as a student intern before the court.  Has anyone on this board completed this thing with disclosures? And if so, how long did you wait until your got your clearance letter?  Does completing the CLI requirements help the actual student bar registration go faster if I ultimately decide to stay in Florida?

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Certified Legal Intern
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 09:40:58 AM »
It takes between 6-8 months to get a clearance letter from the bar. I did mine if Feb. and still haven't gotten one back. If you even think you will practice in FL you should just file as a law student and not just for CLI clearance. The price difference is minimal. And yes, if you do it now they can clear you faster during your 3L year so there is no waiting after you pass the bar.
UMiami c/o 2010

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Certified Legal Intern
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »
I haven't decided whether I am taking the FL Bar and therefor I have not started my bar applications because of the cost and actual burden.

The FL application process is simply a mess and I want to make sure that if I begin it that I will actually stay here.

But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!