Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your job can be outsourced.  (Read 2893 times)

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
Re: Your job can be outsourced.
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »
Of course, if people prefer to see themselves as victims of broader trends, instead of taking advantage of the many opportuntities they create, that's their choice.  I believe there's an entire political party in this country built around that mentality.

Unfortunately, the Libertarian party hasn't a chance in this year's election, although I think they can probably make gains at the local level.  Judging by the number of Ron Paul stickers I still see on bumpers, the Libertarians seem to have a good amount of enthusiastic supporters.

I don't think it's as simple as victim/opportunity.  Auto workers in Michigan, for example, may be older and have financial obligations that impede their ability to adapt.  How easy is it for an Auto worker to move or retrain, when he or she is 50 years old, has a kid or two in college, a mortgage, and other expenses? 

So you tell them to pack up and move where there are jobs.  Ok, but what about their house?  It's not easy to get rid of a house when nobody is buying and banks aren't lending.  Paying for retraining?  Retrain for what?  When much scientific and engineering work is outsourced, what is left?  And where's the $ for tuition going to come from when you've already got a family to support?

A young person like me can easily adapt to the global economy.  No jobs in my state, no problem!  I pack up my car and move.  I've got no kids, no mortgage, and no health issues.  I can go where I please, work where I wish, and pretty much take any opportunity anywhere.  I can easily reap the benefits of a global economy, but not everyone can.

Americans have to realize that there is collective as well as individual responsibility.  The whole "ME ME ME" culture of narcissistic glorification of the individual over all else has degraded the sense of collective responsibility, but that is a topic for another thread.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
Re: Your job can be outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 05:28:03 PM »
For those thinking about law school, you need to be informed about an upcoming trend that has received approval from the ABA.

Drum roll please...... Outsourcing to India:

Now some law jobs will disappear just like manufacturing.

"ABA Gives Thumbs Up to Legal Outsourcing"
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202424085117

Is becoming a lawyer worth it?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080213212028AACplr4

This is one way to look at it.

Another way to look at is you can now open up your own practice, have some schmuck in India do all the work, pay him 10 cents on the dollar, and make six-figures while laying on the beach all day.

Lol, hmm I didnt think of that...

It is a little sad to see the direction the profession is heading. The people at the top are driving and the people at the bottom are too scared to speak up.

Yeah, it really sucks that the mindless, dronish drudgery of legal practice might be outsourced to other nations, with only the thoughtful, creative stuff left here.  It's every american lawyer's dream to spend their lives doing document review. 

Never mind that reducing legal costs through outsourcing will be good for the overall economy, free up american attorneys for more interesting work, and make it easier for individual lawyers to start their own practices.  (I was actually serious in my earlier post, thought I may have exaggerated a little -- you'd still have to work, just not as much.)

I encourage all people intimidated by globalization and "outsourcing" to read Friedman's "The World is Flat" to get a better sense of the real effects and impacts of global trade.  Overall, it's clearly a benefit to our country, especially to anyone with any initiative.

Of course, if people prefer to see themselves as victims of broader trends, instead of taking advantage of the many opportuntities they create, that's their choice.  I believe there's an entire political party in this country built around that mentality.

I don't have a problem with globalization. I have bought plenty of things made in china...lol. What I have a problem with is the dumbing down of requirements for the practice of law overseas. Meanwhile they require us to get up to our eyeballs in debt for an ABA approved school and the barzam.