Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your job can be outsourced.  (Read 2877 times)

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Your job can be outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 01:18:45 AM »
Only for people willing to shell out 100K without doing any of their own research.  These are the kind of people that suck at life regardless of their career choices and can't stay out of their own way in most circumstances.

I believe SCK has been proven to be one of Wally's alt flames.  Right?

I take that as a raving compliment but if you think hard you'll remember back to when I PM'd you about my personal information.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 10:15:31 AM »
Only for people willing to shell out 100K without doing any of their own research.  These are the kind of people that suck at life regardless of their career choices and can't stay out of their own way in most circumstances.

I believe SCK has been proven to be one of Wally's alt flames.  Right?

You know you are doing something right when you are accused of being one of Steven's alts. (No contractions, btw)
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

acefreely

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 11:48:41 PM »
Thanks for passing those articles on. Information like that should definitely be considered.

It's all in what you want really. If my wife will let me I would like to move the family to the middle of nowhere in Alaska. I'd be the only attorney within many, many, many miles and I'd take every sort of case and payment.

"No money you say? Well thats a nice snow-mobile you got there..."

They can't outsource those types of jobs. And I'm not looking to get rich. I just want to provide for my family and live in that beautiful country up north.

The kinds of things that will work for outsourcing legal advice are the same things that work with these legal help sites, such as wills, standard docs, etc. But when your in an accident and you need help, you'll still have to call <insert popular name here>, lol.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 12:43:55 AM »
Thanks for passing those articles on. Information like that should definitely be considered.

It's all in what you want really. If my wife will let me I would like to move the family to the middle of nowhere in Alaska. I'd be the only attorney within many, many, many miles and I'd take every sort of case and payment.

"No money you say? Well thats a nice snow-mobile you got there..."

They can't outsource those types of jobs. And I'm not looking to get rich. I just want to provide for my family and live in that beautiful country up north.

The kinds of things that will work for outsourcing legal advice are the same things that work with these legal help sites, such as wills, standard docs, etc. But when your in an accident and you need help, you'll still have to call <insert popular name here>, lol.

Actually, they are starting to outsource the discovery: doc review to cut costs. That is a major part of litigation that should go to US attorneys. Or you would think. You would think that there would be privacy concerns but the ABA is gung ho because it will make more money for the big firms. Who knows how much the big firms paid in lobbying dollars.

I have been thinking about traveling to Alaska also. beautiful scenery..lol. That palin girl really put Alaska on the map.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 01:48:05 AM »

Actually, they are starting to outsource the discovery: doc review to cut costs. That is a major part of litigation that should go to US attorneys.

Not sure why you would think this.  (Privacy?  Presumably confidentiality can be maintained even through online transmissions.)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 01:49:39 AM »
For those thinking about law school, you need to be informed about an upcoming trend that has received approval from the ABA.

Drum roll please...... Outsourcing to India:

Now some law jobs will disappear just like manufacturing.

"ABA Gives Thumbs Up to Legal Outsourcing"
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202424085117

Is becoming a lawyer worth it?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080213212028AACplr4

This is one way to look at it.

Another way to look at is you can now open up your own practice, have some schmuck in India do all the work, pay him 10 cents on the dollar, and make six-figures while laying on the beach all day.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 02:28:40 PM »
Hey, I didn't think of that! Leave it to one of the most conservative posters on the board to see the bright side of this. ;)

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »
For those thinking about law school, you need to be informed about an upcoming trend that has received approval from the ABA.

Another way to look at is you can now open up your own practice, have some schmuck in India do all the work, pay him 10 cents on the dollar, and make six-figures while laying on the beach all day.

Lol, hmm I didnt think of that...

It is a little sad to see the direction the profession is heading. The people at the top are driving and the people at the bottom are too scared to speak up.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »
Hey, I didn't think of that! Leave it to one of the most conservative posters on the board to see the bright side of this. ;)

Yeah, (fiscal) conservatives actually tend to be more optimistic generally, but they definitely see the benefits of free trade more than liberals do.

With all the bitching and wailing libs do these days, you wouldn't know that most americans make over three times as much today (in real terms) as they did in the 1950's (the "golden era" of american economic dominance), with poverty levels today far lower than during that eara.  Much of that improvement in the standard of living is due, of course, to global trade.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 06:48:02 PM »

Lol, hmm I didnt think of that...

It is a little sad to see the direction the profession is heading. The people at the top are driving and the people at the bottom are too scared to speak up.

Yeah, it really sucks that the mindless, dronish drudgery of legal practice might be outsourced to other nations, with only the thoughtful, creative stuff left here.  It's every american lawyer's dream to spend their lives doing document review. 

Never mind that reducing legal costs through outsourcing will be good for the overall economy, free up american attorneys for more interesting work, and make it easier for individual lawyers to start their own practices.  (I was actually serious in my earlier post, thought I may have exaggerated a little -- you'd still have to work, just not as much.)

I encourage all people intimidated by globalization and "outsourcing" to read Friedman's "The World is Flat" to get a better sense of the real effects and impacts of global trade.  Overall, it's clearly a benefit to our country, especially to anyone with any initiative.

Of course, if people prefer to see themselves as victims of broader trends, instead of taking advantage of the many opportuntities they create, that's their choice.  I believe there's an entire political party in this country built around that mentality.