Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Academia vs. Occupational LORs  (Read 837 times)

L-Spot

• View Profile
    • Email
Academia vs. Occupational LORs
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:49:42 PM »
Having atleast one university professor write a LOR seems to be the consensus.  I wasn't a very good student however, and wasn't on a buddy-buddy basis with many of my professors (usually just keeping to myself).

I have one professor from my junior year with whom I took a technical communications class (I figure this is more pertinent to law school then thermodynamics etc.).  By the time I apply to law school however, the class I took will be 5 years in the past.

I graduated in Dec. 06 and since have been working for a law related federal government agency which I feel really lucky to have ever nabbed the job in the first place.  I had a supervisor for 8 months where I learned patent law basics and I'm certain I could get a good recommendation from him.  Also, I am sure my current supervisor would only have good things to say about me.

My question is:  If I'm trying to enter law school in 2010, three years out of undergrad, how important is it to still have professor recommendations?  Would two recent, and very appropriate (My job basically consists of reading, writing, and interpretating lawyers) recommendations trump any needed university LORs.

My whole angle with everything is: high LSAT (hopefully), hard engineering undergrad, great work experience in a law related field for a few years, and an honest change in my priorities (I'm a hard worker now and save the drinking and fun for weekends as opposed to every day in college). 

Would it be wise to include the Junior year prof as well?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Academia vs. Occupational LORs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:38 PM »
Your recs sound pretty good because it seems like they can evaluate you from an academic standpoint, which is the most important.  I would suggest contacting your old professor too and asking him/her if he would mind writing the rec for you and explain the situation and update him on what you've been doing, refresh his mind on what you did in the course, and dig up some old papers/tests if you can.  If he says no then it wouldn't be the biggest problem, but I don't think it would hurt to ask.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.