Law School Discussion

Has anybody else here started to fill out applications

Re: Has anybody else here started to fill out applications
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 09:08:20 AM »
Tree killers?  Why don't you go ahead and try to further impress the Duke adcoms with a reference to the lacrosse team.

How about identity theft? http://campustechnology.com/articles/56610/ :)

EDIT: Columbia also just requested a paper copy. The trees...they weep!

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 01:47:27 PM »
If I am still waiting on LOR, should I submit anyways?  I'm anxious and anal, so I would like them in ASAP.  I have my PS and Why X statements done.  How does that work?

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 01:48:28 PM »
Also, how do I get it to turn track changes off!!  Word 2007 is evil!  I don't want admissions to open up my personal statement and see a whole bunch of red marks.

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »
If I am still waiting on LOR, should I submit anyways?  I'm anxious and anal, so I would like them in ASAP.  I have my PS and Why X statements done.  How does that work?

You can send it in, but it won't be reviewed until your LORs are in.  Once they have everything, schools usually send you a "complete" email/postcard.  Sometimes they wait until a certain date to start reviewing, so it might not hurt to get them in if they're done and get yourself "in line" to be reviewed.  
But if you want to wait, it won't be a problem because they won't review your app until its complete anyways.  But I don't think you feel that way.  It's more for the benefit of anyone else who's wondering.

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 01:52:25 PM »
Also, how do I get it to turn track changes off!!  Word 2007 is evil!  I don't want admissions to open up my personal statement and see a whole bunch of red marks.

I think once you attach it, LSAC turns it into a PDF to send them so they won't be able to go back and see your changes.  But if you need them removed first...I think its under tools or options or something.

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 05:14:18 PM »
Well, my diversity statement has become so long it's become my personal statement.  I'm wondering if I'm doing myself a huge disservice neglecting a PS in lieu of a glorified DS?  I hope this isn't a problem because I should be able to go complete in like a week or two if this should be fine...

It's not a bad thing. But for the schools that are willing to take both. I recommend putting together a PS, maybe shorter, and a completely different topic and review from your DS.

The way I did it was 2 pages Diversity Statement, it was a little sadder and should perseverance, etc.
The other one completely upbeat and fun and should leadership and hopefully that I'm a fun little girl.

If not, than I don't think it's that big a deal. But remember that your statement will have to do double duty and act as both a DS and PS. You'll have to show your diversity and what you bring to the table but also answer any questions they might have prompted for or show that you are the most magnificent candidate and they better pick you or else.

Good luck. :)

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »

The way I did it was 2 pages Diversity Statement, it was a little sadder and should perseverance, etc.
The other one completely upbeat and fun and should leadership and hopefully that I'm a fun little girl.

Do you mean showed instead of should?

...would you like someone to proof your papers for you?  :P

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 06:59:10 PM »

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »
Inching closer to being able to complete some apps.  I have 1 of 2 LORs in with the other supposedly coming this week.  I'm also waiting one trascript to be processed as well. Also have to write 5 (!) addendums. That's it right? I'm less anxious and more excited than anything.

sounds good...I can't think of anything else

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 10:44:08 AM »
Actually I lied...do any of your schools need dean's certifications as part of the app?