Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NOOO! Got off UF waitlist fall 2005---what to do?!?!  (Read 1909 times)

Aida7

• View Profile
    • Email
NOOO! Got off UF waitlist fall 2005---what to do?!?!
« on: August 17, 2005, 04:38:40 PM »
I just got a call today and UF took me off the waitlist for Fall 2005 (beg. THIS TUESDAY) Meaning I'd miss orientation.  I just moved out to Kentucky from FL (where I am a resident) to go to UK law school out here--on in-state scholarship.  I have everything set up here and it cost me $3000 already to move up here. To get out of my apartment lease would cost me $2000, plus I would have to hire movers to come out and get me into some apt that I haven't even signed with or looked at yet in Gainesville, FL.  In a matter of 3 days, therefore, I would have to pick up and leave everything here, find an apartment, and begin classes--a total of about $6000 to move and sign a new lease. Plus I would have to dish out another $6000 for a semester of tuition because my govt loans wont transfer quick enough. The question is then is it worth it? Do I go to FL (ranked 41--and $4000 cheaper a year for a resident) OR do I stay at Kentucky (ranked 53)??
I have my family in FL, but I do not plan on working there, I want to end up in New York City (I went to NYU undergrad).  So either way, I was looking into maybe transfering to a better law school at the end of the first year (whether I attend UF of UK), because where I want to go is New York (but I didn't get into the schools of choice there before).
Would UF have better connections than UK for getting me to NYC? either as a transfer or as a job at the end?
AND: is UF that much better in the rankings than UK that it would matter, given that it's still not T14??
I have a friend lawyer from yale, older, who says "drop everything and go to UF, hands down its a better name, its hard enough to get in there to begin with"...but I don't know what to do! ???  I have 2 days to make a decision...please help, any input would be great
NYU 3.4/150
in @ U.Kentucky ($$), NYLS ($$), Nova, Pace($), Syracuse, In at UF (for fall) off waitlist 8/20/05
WL @ Miami, Brooklyn, UF, Miss, Albany
hold @ FSU
rej @ UGA, W&L,

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: NOOO! Got off UF waitlist fall 2005---what to do?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 05:29:24 PM »
I don't think the rankings difference is enough to really weigh your decision either way.

You've already spent $3k to move up there.  Where will you come up with the $6k to move back?  Will you even be able to come up with the $6k to cover your tuition while you wait for your loans to transfer?  How will you support yourself, especially if you're using loan money like so many others?

If you actually have positive answers to these questions, and UF was one of your first choices, then I say take it.  Personally, I think it doesn't matter between UK or UF in transfering.  Your grades and what you do this first year of LS will be more important, since there's really not all that much difference rankings wise, IMO.  Also, is the $4k you'd save in UF tuition really worth it when you're spending roughly $6k just to get down there?

I think if I was sitting in your position, I'd be staying right where I am.

lw29

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 05:35:51 PM »
Go to UF...your family will love you again.

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 06:00:46 PM »
I don't think it's worth the insanity to try to move to Gainesville right now and find a vacant apartment.

MADTowner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 06:53:57 PM »
Go to whatever school is the best - besides good grades, etc reputation is half the battle.  Ultimately, it is wherever you will be the most happy.  Will you regret not going to UF?

NowBadger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 08:12:12 PM »
Sorry for the long winded response.

IMHO, it looks like the main factors in your decision are money, (lack of) time, and the potential transfer after 1L.

If I understand your OP correctly you will be out $11,000 if you move back to Florida (housing deposits and moving expenses – I’m not counting the $6000 tuition because your loans will transfer soon enough).  However, (unless you transfer after your first year) UF will be $12,000 cheaper – making the net difference $1000 in favor of Florida.  I don’t that is a significant enough amount of money to make money a main concern in this decision.

So, the another factor is the effort it will take to move in two days.  Yes that would be a pain, but if you would rather go to and be in Florida, I’d say do it.  I don’t know much about the school, but going to school on the East Coast will help you network on the East Coast.  That's just my impression after going to UG in Boston.

Finally, there is the transfer issue.  If you’re SURE you’ll transfer, you may as well stay put.  Because UK is ranked lower, chances are it will be “easier” for you to achieve a higher class rank there.  The higher your rank the better the transfer opportunities.

Just my $0.02.  Best of luck to you!

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 08:38:28 PM »
I think I should expand just a little on my previous post. Here's why I personally don't think it's worth the trouble to move back to FL to attend UF: Neither school, in my opinion, is going to get you very far into the NYC market. I also agree with the poster above who said (if I remember correctly) that the difference in rankings isn't going to matter for transfer prospects. UF just doesn't have the reputation in the NE to make up for the hassle, IMHO.

ohwellok

• Sr. Citizen
  • the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 12:52:46 PM »
i would look at things in terms of where you would want to be in case transferring does not pan out. if you do not wind up being able to transfer for whatever reason, would you rather be in kentucky or florida long term? this could potentially be the law school you wind up spending 3 years at!

Aida7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 01:48:25 PM »
I just found out that I wouldn't have to pay tuition until the loans came in. So that's a plus. But to answer some questions--yes, if I didn't transfer I would rather be in FL. And if I couldn't get a job in NYC, Florida would be the next best thing for me (I don't plan at all to work in KY).  Basically the problem is the HUGE hassle of moving RIGHT NOW, not having a place in FL right away, the cost of the move, the stress, etc etc.  What really worries me is that I don't want to look back and think, oh I could have been at UFlorida; or that future job prospects really see a difference between UK and UF. IF they don't, then I don't think it's worth it...but I dont know that.  Thanks for the input, please keep it coming  ::)
NYU 3.4/150
in @ U.Kentucky ($$), NYLS ($$), Nova, Pace($), Syracuse, In at UF (for fall) off waitlist 8/20/05
WL @ Miami, Brooklyn, UF, Miss, Albany
hold @ FSU
rej @ UGA, W&L,

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 07:23:43 PM »
I just found out that I wouldn't have to pay tuition until the loans came in. So that's a plus. But to answer some questions--yes, if I didn't transfer I would rather be in FL. And if I couldn't get a job in NYC, Florida would be the next best thing for me (I don't plan at all to work in KY).  Basically the problem is the HUGE hassle of moving RIGHT NOW, not having a place in FL right away, the cost of the move, the stress, etc etc.  What really worries me is that I don't want to look back and think, oh I could have been at UFlorida; or that future job prospects really see a difference between UK and UF. IF they don't, then I don't think it's worth it...but I dont know that.  Thanks for the input, please keep it coming  ::)

I would call the UF admissions folks and see if they can hook you up with some ideas about housing this late in the game. It sounds as if FL is the #2 after NYC (and in all honesty, it seems like NYC is a longshot cuz transfer prospects can be low at times). If UF can help you out a little with housing, it might be worth the hassle.