Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What degree of racial mixing qualifies as URM?  (Read 2709 times)

ally088

• View Profile
What degree of racial mixing qualifies as URM?
« on: June 19, 2004, 02:25:18 AM »
Out of curiosity-

Who/what determines your status as a URM? Is it based on your response on the LSAT? Something else?

What exactly are the criteria for URM status? E.g., are you URM if you're 1/2 black? 1/8?

My dad's mom, who raised me alone, was Puerto Rican. My other grandparents are all of European descent. Am I URM?

ruskiegirl

Re: What degree of racial mixing qualifies as URM?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 02:32:33 AM »
Yes.  My friend who is 1/4 Hispanic checked the box and got into GMU with no questions.  I think that 1/4 is definitely enough.  I would question it if you were like 1/16.

Dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 09:50:58 AM »
     I think that the fact that people have to ask a question like this demonstrates the utter senselessness of racial preferences.
     I mean, is there some sort of Nazi-esque racial purity test to determine who qualifies as a minority? Will they investigate your background if you apply as a black but appear to be white? What if your father is three-quarters white but considers himself to be fully black? Would you be half black (if your mother was white) or some other fraction?
     What happens if someone who has a black father and white mother (and identifies himself as black) is competing for a single position with someone with two black parents? Who wins, given everything else is equal?
     It won't be long before this country wakes up and realizes how stupid this whole thing is.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 01:49:11 PM »
     I think that the fact that people have to ask a question like this demonstrates the utter senselessness of racial preferences.
     I mean, is there some sort of Nazi-esque racial purity test to determine who qualifies as a minority? Will they investigate your background if you apply as a black but appear to be white? What if your father is three-quarters white but considers himself to be fully black? Would you be half black (if your mother was white) or some other fraction?
     What happens if someone who has a black father and white mother (and identifies himself as black) is competing for a single position with someone with two black parents? Who wins, given everything else is equal?
     It won't be long before this country wakes up and realizes how stupid this whole thing is.

one drop rule.

ain't it wonderful?

Ginatio

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 02:37:50 PM »
at any given point in time, I think ruskie may qualify as being 1/16th African American.

Yes.  My friend who is 1/4 Hispanic checked the box and got into GMU with no questions.  I think that 1/4 is definitely enough.  I would question it if you were like 1/16.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 03:54:21 AM »
at any given point in time, I think ruskie may qualify as being 1/16th African American.

How do you think I got into Boalt? 

Ginatio

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 09:12:42 AM »
letter of recommendation from the UT football team?  :D

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 07:39:48 PM »
letter of recommendation from the UT football team?  :D

ruskie you tutored payton manning?

:o ;)

LambdaChi03

• Sr. Citizen
  • BS in Forensic Science, Baylor; KU Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 07:44:49 PM »
Ruskie prefers black men.  I don't think she would have given Payton the time of day!  ;D

ruskiegirl

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 02:04:01 AM »
Actually, I didn't tutor Manning.  However, that's not because I prefer black men and wouldn't give him the time of day.  Manning graduated two years before I started college.  From what I hear, he was quite academically inclined and didn't need the tutoring anyways.

If I had tutored Manning, I wouldn't be able to tell you.  We had to sign a confidentiality agreement which precludes us from disclosing who we tutor and any information regarding their academic performance.  I'll say that I tutored several that are quite successful in the NFL.  I will leave it at that.