Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre Labor Day Callbacks  (Read 5564 times)

lola2008

• View Profile
Re: Pre Labor Day Callbacks
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:57:22 PM »
I just got an offer from a pre-labor day callback today. 

Meek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:24 PM »
Just got dinged from 1 out of 2 pre-labor day callback. Still waiting for other one. Likely ding... Best of luck to everyone else.

Hookem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »
I had interview with one V10 three weeks ago and still have not heard from them.  I don't know what to make of it.

LegalLady2010

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
Well, today is offical 2 weeks with no word for me  :'(  I am expecting my ding any day now,  I have pretty much given up hope.  Congrats to those who have received offers good luck to the rest!

kipford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 08:38:58 AM »
Well, today is offical 2 weeks with no word for me  :'(  I am expecting my ding any day now,  I have pretty much given up hope.  Congrats to those who have received offers good luck to the rest!

Maybe I'm being naive, but given NALP rules, and the changes to it this year, isn't it quite possible to get an offer far down the road?  Say the firm interviewed 100 people for 20 spots.  They might send out 20 offers (or maybe 30 I don't know) and then have more in reserve because some will undoubtedly take other offers.  They may have to wait 45 days, but offers made recently will expire by mid october.  Unless they planned perfectly, they will then go to their B list to make more offers.

I know one firm I interviewed at (which did callbacks for significantly more people than they traditionally hire from my school) told me to let them know if I was getting any pressure from another firm to accept an offer-the implication being that if I was on their B or C list they would make a decision at that point for me one way or the other.

I'm pretty sure someone I'm friendly with (a current 3L) got a great (top firm in market) offer in the spring semester last year-so I think these things can take time.  My (admittedly speculative) thinking is that if you don't hear quickly it's actually a good thing to hear nothing.  In other words if you are not someone that they decide they must have and give you an immediate offer, at least they didn't send you an immediate ding, and you are still in the running, contingent on how many offers are accepted.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 01:27:46 PM »
Maybe I'm being naive, but given NALP rules, and the changes to it this year, isn't it quite possible to get an offer far down the road?  Say the firm interviewed 100 people for 20 spots.  They might send out 20 offers (or maybe 30 I don't know) and then have more in reserve because some will undoubtedly take other offers.  They may have to wait 45 days, but offers made recently will expire by mid october.  Unless they planned perfectly, they will then go to their B list to make more offers.

That was my understanding.  I know a few people who got offers at firms before those firms had even done OCI at most schools.  I doubt those people were so impressive the firm would simply shut down its normal hiring operations.  A better conclusion is the firm wanted the first chance at picking those people up, but will have other candidates in the wings.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »
Old NALP - you could only hold a certain number of offers open by a certain date, and one final deadline to decide.

New NALP - you have 45 days from the date of offer (date on offer letter) to reject or accept an offer.

So if you received 2 offers on Sept 15, under the old rules, you had until some date in Dec to decide.  Now, you have until Oct. 30 to decide.

Old NALP - Offer more people than you want, because a certain percent will always say no.

New NALP - Only offer the people you REALLY want. Hold onto everyone else until those awful 45 days are over.

kipford

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 09:29:22 AM »
Old NALP - you could only hold a certain number of offers open by a certain date, and one final deadline to decide.

New NALP - you have 45 days from the date of offer (date on offer letter) to reject or accept an offer.

So if you received 2 offers on Sept 15, under the old rules, you had until some date in Dec to decide.  Now, you have until Oct. 30 to decide.

Old NALP - Offer more people than you want, because a certain percent will always say no.

New NALP - Only offer the people you REALLY want. Hold onto everyone else until those awful 45 days are over.

Let's hope this is the case.  Even if offers are less forthcoming it's a lot better to have to wait it out than to get a great offer for a SA position and then be informed that because of the economy you will not get a permanent offer.  After writing my last message I did get an offer from the firm I interviewed with and was told that the sooner I could make a decision, the better (not in a "pressuring you to make a decision" way but more like "the sooner you decide the sooner we can make other decisions"). I'm very likely to accept the offer, but feel I should do other callback just to see if I get wowed. 

That said, I'm not holding on to any offers longer than I need to to finish callbacks (2-3 weeks).  I found the whole OCI process to be kind of tortorous (i.e. didn't get as many callbacks as I expected, wondered what was wrong with my/my interviewing skills, etc.) and would hate to extend the torture for others waiting to get offers that I'm holding up.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »
Got an offer today from a pre-labor day big firm callback.
2L

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »
Got an offer today from a pre-labor day big firm callback.

Had you followed-up at all or no?

Does anyone know if/when you are supposed to follow-up after a callback?