Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre Labor Day Callbacks  (Read 5453 times)

LegalLady2010

• View Profile
Pre Labor Day Callbacks
« on: September 05, 2008, 05:24:45 PM »
Is anyone else waiting to hear about pre Labor Day callbacks?  I am still waiting to hear from my top choice that I had a callback with prior to Labor Day.  Just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing  ???  Do the earlier callbacks take longer to hear from than ones later in the cycle?  This is driving me crazy!

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pre Labor Day Callbacks
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »
Yes.  I had one very close to Labor Day.  I thought it went very well, but I have not heard back.  I am beginning to count it at a loss, even if they did have this Monday off.
2L

Meek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »
Same here. Two callbacks last week, one on 27th and one on 29th. Haven't heard back from either one. Is this a bad sign, anyone know? Thanks.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:41:02 PM »
This is the advanced version of "OMG I APPLIED TO X SCHOOL LAST WEEK AND I'M NOT COMPLETE YET WHAT'S GOING ON."

chill out, kids.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

mtfbwy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »
The week before and the week after Labor Day, many firms are ghost towns.  Partners are taking end-of-summer vacations and, even more so, their clients (especially if transactional) are doing the same. There's a lull between when most summer associates leave and most call-backs take place. 

Next week, things will crank back up, i.e., everyone involved with summer hiring will be back to the office, attending the weekly hiring meetings (or submitting emails, or whatever they do to vote yes or no at a given firm), etc. 

Good luck.

LegalLady2010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »
The week before and the week after Labor Day, many firms are ghost towns.  Partners are taking end-of-summer vacations and, even more so, their clients (especially if transactional) are doing the same. There's a lull between when most summer associates leave and most call-backs take place. 

Next week, things will crank back up, i.e., everyone involved with summer hiring will be back to the office, attending the weekly hiring meetings (or submitting emails, or whatever they do to vote yes or no at a given firm), etc. 

Good luck.

That makes sense.  I am glad to here I am not alone and all hope is not lost.  Thanks! 

legallovely

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »
I'm in the same boat - haven't heard anything but no letter either

dinsosaur junior

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:08:57 PM »
same boat! i know with nalp changes it may take a while but the waiting is killing me.

comatose

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 07:13:33 PM »
sorry i guess i'm a little clueless. how would the nalp changes affect the turn around time for extending offers?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 08:04:34 PM »
Old NALP - you could only hold a certain number of offers open by a certain date, and one final deadline to decide.

New NALP - you have 45 days from the date of offer (date on offer letter) to reject or accept an offer.

So if you received 2 offers on Sept 15, under the old rules, you had until some date in Dec to decide.  Now, you have until Oct. 30 to decide.