Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I work for Cravath?  (Read 6939 times)

lola2008

• View Profile
Should I work for Cravath?
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:36:02 AM »
Recently got an offer from Cravath, still waiting to hear from Cleary and Davis Polk.  Have offers at Kirlkand, Sidley, Jones Day.  Should I go to Cravath?  Are Cleary/Davis Polk better choices if I want to have some semblance of a life? 

Really struggling with this decision.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: Should I work for Cravath?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:50:03 PM »
I had an offer at Cravath and went to work at Kirkland instead. I didn't really like the culture at Cravath and the benefits at Kirkland seemed more impressive.

Cravath is a good firm, but I think working for one partner for 18 months is tiresome and potentially disastrous. I highly prefer a free-market system where I have some control over the growth and development of my career. Additionally, once you finally master a particular areas or case, after 18 months you move on to a new case/partner where you'll again start from scratch. It seems like a highly inefficient way to train attorneys. Not to mention, my friends at Cravath privately have told me how insipid working there really is. ]

Look Cravath is prestigious, but no one gives a damn about associates. Unless you're a partner, you're not going to impress anyone saying you're an associate at Cravath, Swaine and Moore...and no, you won't make partner. It is virtually impossible to make partner at Cravath. It isn't because you aren't qualified or competent, it is just because they only make 1-3 people per class partner.

The only reason I can think of (aside from Prestige) to pick Cravath over another firm that you fit better at, is for the marginally better exit options. Even this benefit has not been confirmed.

So go to Cravath is it is a good fit for you, but don't go simply because it is Cravath.
YLS c/o 2009

Visual Dictionary

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 02:03:18 PM »
Isn't Cravath supposed to be pretty good for novice litigators?  You could probably find some good mentors.
Yep.

Visual Dictionary

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:28:36 PM »
I know.  They have an 18-month practice group rotation.  You could probably still find good people, no?
Yep.

offer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »
Think about your health. :-\

lola2008

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 02:04:38 PM »
I know how the Cravath assignment system works, it's 18 month rotations.  I see equal amounts of good and bad from that so it's not really weighing onto either side in my decision.  What I'm unsure about is if it's really more hours than other firms and their treatment of women.  Any thoughts on that?

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »
I know how the Cravath assignment system works, it's 18 month rotations.  I see equal amounts of good and bad from that so it's not really weighing onto either side in my decision.  What I'm unsure about is if it's really more hours than other firms and their treatment of women.  Any thoughts on that?

Cravath hosted a women-only 1L reception at my school last year.  It was horrifying -- by the end, not only did I never want to work at Cravath, I was ready to get out of law altogether.  PM me if you want more details, but from the conversations I had with women lawyers, I can say that it does NOT seem like a female-friendly place to work.
UPenn '10

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »
Galt, if you don't mind my asking, did you do Kirkland NY?
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

lola2008

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 07:58:03 PM »
Pam - not sure if you got my message - but can you elaborate?  I would be really interested in hearing your reasons/experience.

onoble

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:04:24 PM »
I recently got an offer from Cravath too, and when searching the net for boards and other opinions about the place I see a lot of hatred toward the place, yet they consistently are ranked a top top firm. 

Is all this hatred just a jealousy thing then?  I am not trying to start an argument or anything but seriously people are speaking out of both of sides of their mouth when it comes to Cravath and most of the hate comes from people who "decided not to work there."  I'm not saying they're wrong, I am just trying to get some honesty.