Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John McCain's VP Selection is a Complete Disaster For The Republicans  (Read 11307 times)

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The first thing I thought when he announced his vp was...inexperience. I thought of this before I even saw commentators' reactions. The only legitimate criticism from McCain is that Obama is inexperienced. With this new VP who served as gov of Alaska for roughly a year... what's he got on Obama now?

Sarah Palin pick came as a surprise to me and reeked nothing less than desperation to get Hillary votes. McCain's campaign is a disaster and a stupid move. I was hoping for a closer race.

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is John McCain's VP selection a disaster?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
Never underestimate the power of the Republican propaganda machine.  For anyone that caught Jon Stewart (Daily Show) last night, you can see they are already in full swing.  Good times ahead.

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »
"Hillary votes" (feminists) wouldn't ever vote for McCain just because he has Palin (anti-feminist) for a running mate. Gender issues are more important then the gender of the person nominated. At least to smart people.

Have a donut.

yes i did hear this new VP is in favor of over-turning Roe. V. Wade and has a pregnant teen daughter. This can't be good.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
I think she's a strong candidate for VP.

YLS c/o 2009

servinglife

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »
The first thing I thought when he announced his vp was...inexperience. I thought of this before I even saw commentators' reactions. The only legitimate criticism from McCain is that Obama is inexperienced. With this new VP who served as gov of Alaska for roughly a year... what's he got on Obama now?

Sarah Palin pick came as a surprise to me and reeked nothing less than desperation to get Hillary votes. McCain's campaign is a disaster and a stupid move. I was hoping for a closer race.
I don't think it was a disaster. I have to admit, at first I thought it was a gaffe, but when you look at her record, she pretty much toes the line on the conservative issues. I actually am starting to think it was a pretty shrewd move because she doesn't have a ton of negative press, as long as it stays that way. WRT her daughter, Democrats realize that they should stay out of her business (it's the woman's right to choose, right?).

As far as inexperience goes, remember that she's the VP not the prez. There's a difference. I admit that if McCain drops over, then yeah, the inexperience could be a big deal. Maybe some people wouldn't be upset with her running the country.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 12:23:41 AM »
"Hillary votes" (feminists) wouldn't ever vote for McCain just because he has Palin (anti-feminist) for a running mate. Gender issues are more important then the gender of the person nominated. At least to smart people.

Have a donut.

I like to think that all the centrist, working class democrats that voted or would have voted for Hillary are too intelligent to fall for that aspect of the Palin nomination, that they would only view it as an insult. But I tend to have faith in the American people, in democrats especially. It would not really suprise me if I was proven wrong, and the decision proved to be a success in the long run.

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 01:29:29 AM »
I don't think it was a disaster. I have to admit, at first I thought it was a gaffe, but when you look at her record, she pretty much toes the line on the conservative issues. I actually am starting to think it was a pretty shrewd move because she doesn't have a ton of negative press, as long as it stays that way. WRT her daughter, Democrats realize that they should stay out of her business (it's the woman's right to choose, right?).

Short answer, NO.

Long answer, in the political arena, what you say and do must be consistent. You can't be a bible thumper and think you can get away with kids having kids. Especially since the Republican party likes to legislate on people's personal issues like sex and abortion, they better be consistent. This new VP isn't and that's why I think she's full of S.

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 01:30:57 AM »

I like to think that all the centrist, working class democrats that voted or would have voted for Hillary are too intelligent to fall for that aspect of the Palin nomination, that they would only view it as an insult. But I tend to have faith in the American people, in democrats especially. It would not really suprise me if I was proven wrong, and the decision proved to be a success in the long run.

Social crime worthy of castration. American generosity, American Dream, and the American Spirit checked out about 40 years ago. Don't count on it. Ignorant citizens deserve ignorant leaders. Based on our performance in the past 8 years, we deserve 12 more years of agonizing suffering under leaders like George W. Bush.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 01:42:04 AM »

Social crime worthy of castration. American generosity, American Dream, and the American Spirit checked out about 40 years ago. Don't count on it. Ignorant citizens deserve ignorant leaders. Based on our performance in the past 8 years, we deserve 12 more years of agonizing suffering under leaders like George W. Bush.

You are an idiot.