Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Got OCI interview for place that I didn't have the grades for  (Read 1779 times)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Got OCI interview for place that I didn't have the grades for
« on: September 04, 2008, 07:27:50 AM »
I am just outside the top 1/3rd and ranked like 38% or so, but I still applied to almost all the OCI places just in case. I wound up getting an interview back from one of the places that listed "top 20%/moot court/law review", and it has me nervous because I am not on any law reviews, and my grades aren't really close to top 20%. I just feel like I have no shot if they are calling people in for interviews with much better grades than me.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Got OCI interview for place that I didn't have the grades for
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:51:21 AM »
Someone saw something they liked in your resume or cover letter, and that something must have been pretty important to them if you didn't have the grades.

As always, try going in and doing your absolute best to wow them in your interview.  Even though it may be an uphill battle for a callback, just remember that something made you desirable to even get the screening interview.  Remind yourself of this so you don't doubt yourself or get so nervous that you don't come across well.  Good luck with your interview!

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:14:08 AM »
Someone saw something they liked in your resume or cover letter, and that something must have been pretty important to them if you didn't have the grades.

As always, try going in and doing your absolute best to wow them in your interview.  Even though it may be an uphill battle for a callback, just remember that something made you desirable to even get the screening interview.  Remind yourself of this so you don't doubt yourself or get so nervous that you don't come across well.  Good luck with your interview!

any tips on "wowing" the interviewer? I am a pretty social person and good at holding up a conversation, but that is casually, and I don't really have any formal interview experience other than working at retail jobs/restuarants.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:32:43 AM »
Take it easy and realize only 20-25% of screening interviews lead to callbacks.  One 20-minute interview isn't worth stressing over.  Be friendly, be yourself, and be enthusiastic.
2L

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:26:14 AM »
Take it easy and realize only 20-25% of screening interviews lead to callbacks.   

This really depends.

Some firms like to do more screeners, some fewer.

My advice is to just be friendly and outgoing. Show them you are someone they would like to work with. Don't pull the hard sell or spit cliches.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »
Take it easy and realize only 20-25% of screening interviews lead to callbacks.   

This really depends.

Some firms like to do more screeners, some fewer.

Right, 20-25% is the supposed average across firms.  I have no idea what this firm's ratio is.  Anyway, the advice is still the same.  Friendly and outgoing.  Mix in some talking points you think are important.  Ask some thoughtful questions.  Try to connect with the interviewer.
2L

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
My advice is to just be friendly and outgoing. Show them you are someone they would like to work with. Don't pull the hard sell or spit cliches.

And LISTEN to what they say.  Stay dynamic, not scripted.

caveat:  you can (and will, after a few screening interviews,) have your jokes on a script.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

TH14

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »
Congrats and good luck. BTW, was the 20% etc required or preferred?