Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to Apply ED: Penn? Georgetown?  (Read 2583 times)

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Where to Apply ED: Penn? Georgetown?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 03:17:05 AM »
Since he brought it up, I might as well expand it. I would really like to end up at Northwestern or Michigan, but with my numbers, the chances aren't the best.

Northwestern seems out of the question, because I have almost no work experience. But with ED, would that help my chances? And what about Michigan? I feel I'd have a decent chance there.

Originally, I had really been wanting these schools as well. Actually, I did kind of want Northwestern all along (I love Chicago), but after my visit to Ann Arbor, my affection for UM kind of faded to a certain degree. Anyway, yeah, if you're straight out of undergrad, it's a bit trickier to get into NU. I do know someone last cycle with a 3.43/171 who got in straight from undergrad though. Not sure how she did that. Your numbers are find for NU, for sure. This cycle, if you hit 170 and had a pulse, they admitted you. MIchigan will care more about GPA for most of their applicants. I think you have a solid shot there and should potentially consider applying ED if you still have those warm fuzzy feelings for it after visiting (which I recommend you do, if you haven't!)
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:46:06 PM »
Since he brought it up, I might as well expand it. I would really like to end up at Northwestern or Michigan, but with my numbers, the chances aren't the best.

Northwestern seems out of the question, because I have almost no work experience. But with ED, would that help my chances? And what about Michigan? I feel I'd have a decent chance there.

Your numbers aren't bad for Michigan.  Your GPA is a little on the low end, but not ridiculously.  There were quite a few acceptances last your in your LSAT/GPA range.  Good luck!  If there's anything I can do to help, shoot me a PM. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »
Originally, I had really been wanting these schools as well. Actually, I did kind of want Northwestern all along (I love Chicago), but after my visit to Ann Arbor, my affection for UM kind of faded to a certain degree. Anyway, yeah, if you're straight out of undergrad, it's a bit trickier to get into NU. I do know someone last cycle with a 3.43/171 who got in straight from undergrad though. Not sure how she did that. Your numbers are find for NU, for sure. This cycle, if you hit 170 and had a pulse, they admitted you. MIchigan will care more about GPA for most of their applicants. I think you have a solid shot there and should potentially consider applying ED if you still have those warm fuzzy feelings for it after visiting (which I recommend you do, if you haven't!)

Your numbers aren't bad for Michigan.  Your GPA is a little on the low end, but not ridiculously.  There were quite a few acceptances last your in your LSAT/GPA range.  Good luck!  If there's anything I can do to help, shoot me a PM. 

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I love Chicago too, and yeah, I have been to MIchigan, although it was only once, and it was a drunkfest for a penn state football game, so I didn't really see much of the campus. I live on Lake Erie though, so I'm used to the weather that Ann Arbor gets. I won't have a chance to come see Michigan, or any campus for that matter, before I apply because I'm in New Zealand for the next 6 months.

Ender, do you know any ED numbers for Michigan? I've been looking around the new LSN but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Like how much it helps my chances.

Also, I have no desire whatsoever to do biglaw. I will if I have to, but I will hate it and want to quit almost immediately. But that seems to be the only way to pay off the loans I will have to take on if I go to Michigan/NW/Georgetown/Vandy. I don't know much about these schools, as they had always seemed a little high for me. Do you guys have any information on these things?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
do you know any ED numbers for Michigan? I've been looking around the new LSN but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Like how much it helps my chances.

One thing you can do is click on the individual's profile and look to see if they specified ED or not.  It's not the most efficient thing...but I can't think of another way
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 11:33:52 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I love Chicago too, and yeah, I have been to MIchigan, although it was only once, and it was a drunkfest for a penn state football game, so I didn't really see much of the campus. I live on Lake Erie though, so I'm used to the weather that Ann Arbor gets. I won't have a chance to come see Michigan, or any campus for that matter, before I apply because I'm in New Zealand for the next 6 months.

Ender, do you know any ED numbers for Michigan? I've been looking around the new LSN but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Like how much it helps my chances.

Also, I have no desire whatsoever to do biglaw. I will if I have to, but I will hate it and want to quit almost immediately. But that seems to be the only way to pay off the loans I will have to take on if I go to Michigan/NW/Georgetown/Vandy. I don't know much about these schools, as they had always seemed a little high for me. Do you guys have any information on these things?

I don't know anything about the other schools' programs, but Michigan's loan repayment program (LRAP) is spectacular.  They really value public service, and will help you pay off your loans if you are in any lower-paying law-related job.  (And, just to avoid confusion, I don't think that it is limited to public interest jobs--anything law related I think.) 

There is so much disagreement about how much (if any) difference it makes when people apply ED, I hesitate to even try to quantify it.  I actually considered ED for the perceived boost (when I was freaking out and desperately wanting to go to Michigan, and looking for any angle), but I ended up applying regular decision and just really going out of my way to let them know how much I wanted to go to school here.  (I think they got the message.)  Michigan really values the law school community, and they want to know that you want to be there.  It would probably help if you could identify something about Michigan which you really like (which shouldn't be hard) and emphasize it. 

LSN

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »

I don't know anything about the other schools' programs, but Michigan's loan repayment program (LRAP) is spectacular.  They really value public service, and will help you pay off your loans if you are in any lower-paying law-related job.  (And, just to avoid confusion, I don't think that it is limited to public interest jobs--anything law related I think.) 

There is so much disagreement about how much (if any) difference it makes when people apply ED, I hesitate to even try to quantify it.  I actually considered ED for the perceived boost (when I was freaking out and desperately wanting to go to Michigan, and looking for any angle), but I ended up applying regular decision and just really going out of my way to let them know how much I wanted to go to school here.  (I think they got the message.)  Michigan really values the law school community, and they want to know that you want to be there.  It would probably help if you could identify something about Michigan which you really like (which shouldn't be hard) and emphasize it. 

Do you have any links to discussions about this? Pretty much, on the chance I get accepted to Michigan, ED or not, I'm scared shitless of owing 150,000+ after graduation. And if I apply ED, that decision is made on acceptance, so I essentially made the decision to take it on when I apply ED in two weeks. If there is no perceived boost, then there is truly no point to ED besides binding me to shitloads of debt without a chance to see other schollys from other schools. So I'll fill out everything and show how much I love Michigan, but do it regular decision, unless any can offer evidence(hard or 2nd hand) that ED helps your chances.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 12:06:55 AM »

Do you have any links to discussions about this? Pretty much, on the chance I get accepted to Michigan, ED or not, I'm scared shitless of owing 150,000+ after graduation. And if I apply ED, that decision is made on acceptance, so I essentially made the decision to take it on when I apply ED in two weeks. If there is no perceived boost, then there is truly no point to ED besides binding me to shitloads of debt without a chance to see other schollys from other schools. So I'll fill out everything and show how much I love Michigan, but do it regular decision, unless any can offer evidence(hard or 2nd hand) that ED helps your chances.

This is totally opinion, so take it only as that, but ED (at least to the admissions people I've talked to) does not give a boost.  It certainly shows that you are serious about going to that school, but there are other ways to do that.  Like I said, I had a higher GPA and the same LSAT, and for a while I was tempted to go ED, but I ultimately decided that I didn't want to forsake the chance at merit aid.  I'm glad I did it this way, because I got $12k per year that I wouldn't otherwise have gotten.  (Now, would I have felt like an idiot if I hadn't gotten in?  Maybe?  I just don't think it was an issue.)

LSN

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 12:29:13 AM »
GULC's website says that it does give you a boost.

"If I get denied through Early Decision, may I apply through the Regular Admissions process?"

No. Since an applicant has a better chance by applying through the Early Decision process, we do not allow applicants to reapply through the regular admissions process.

source: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions/faq.html
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 09:14:17 AM »
I had a 3.48 GPA when I applied, and a lot of my friends were splitters too... purely on my anecdotal knowledge, I'd say if you get, say, a 174, your chances at Penn will be pretty good, and they'll be even better if you apply ED (or at least you'll hear sooner -- Penn likes to defer/WL people for ages before letting them in, so ED is one way to try to avoid that).  People don't talk about it much, but in my experience, NYU is extremely splitter-friendly, and likes to give merit money to high LSAT scorers.  I agree with everyone who said you should wait and see what your score is before deciding, though -- there are huge differences between Penn, Michigan, NYU, and GULC, and you don't want to be stuck somewhere that's not a good fit for you.

Good luck!
UPenn '10

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 08:33:23 PM »
I realize that not all T14 schools offer ED, but for the sake of this post, I'll pretend they do. Considering a 3.4 GPA, I'd say your chances at HYS are basically shot. Beyond the T3, choice of school might look something like this:

Columbia - 174
Chicago - 172
NYU - 172
Berkeley - 175. Berk is a huge GPA-whoring school.
Penn - 170
Michigan - 168
Virginia - 170
Cornell - 169
Duke - 169
Northwestern -NU is  probably the biggest LSAT-whoring school of them all - they seem to take a lot of low GPAs (<3.0), as long as they're paired with 170+ LSATs. Under ED, you might be able to get in with a 168
GULC - 170

The numbers for Duke and Cornell seem inflated here.  For ED, they'll probably be lower. I might drop GULC and UVA a notch as well -- that seems their standard LSAT median.