Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3 pages even, double spaced, times new roman 11 point font: too long?  (Read 1164 times)

kormybear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
3 pages even, double spaced, times new roman 11 point font

Do you all think this is too long?  Most places say 2-3 pages.  What font size do they mean?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: 3 pages even, double spaced, times new roman 11 point font: too long?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »
I've seen 12 pts times new roman specified on several apps
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

gnahzmap

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »
I've seen several applications specify that personal statements should be limited to 2 pages, double spaced, with no smaller than 11/12 point font.  I would read the individual guidelines for each school and tailor your PS to fit those...it is not good to now follow directions.  I was about 1-2 lines over with mine and I decreased the margins by about 0.1" on all sides which gave me a lot of extra room (I'm not sure if this is good protocol...can someone speak to this?)
NYU Law Class of 2012

gtg931r

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »
I just had a friend who just finished law school who read my said that my 2 pages, while very good and compelling, were excessive in length. Every law student/lawyer i talk to always says "tighten" your language, and says the advice is universal. So I'd say go back and cut any unnecessary or repetitive language, but that's having not even read any of what you've written, so take it with a grain of salt.

But others are correct, depending on what schools you apply to, at 3 pages it is beyond their guidelines.

As far as playing with margins, I'd say small changes are fine as long as they remain in the "printable margins" assuming the school hasn't specified margins already for you (I  know Harvard did on last yrs app).

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:07:55 PM »
I think it's definitely too long.

Generally 2 pages, 1 inch margin 12 point font would be the best.

Though some say 2/3, a lot say 2 pages and in truth you can put everything in 2 pages about 700 words.

Whether you realize it or not there's a lot of information or flower in your essay you probably don't need, cut it out. Are you using 15 words to explain something that takes 8 words. Be short, concise and to the point. You can do all of this while still being creative and telling the adcomms what you want.

Go back and really take an honest look at what you have and see if you need all that you have put in there, is every word necessary, is every sentence necessary. The greatest writers are not the ones who can write forever but can write everything they want and say everything they want in a short, concise manner.

My chancellor always says to be so clear that no one can be confused by your meaning. Be so clear that no one can misconstrue or take out of context what you are trying to impart.

If you want another set of eyes you can send it to me, and I'll see what I can do to help.