Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 1282 times)

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions
« on: September 03, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »
I have been reading a lot of threads here and was looking for some suggestions.

I am planning on the December test and was going to study as follows (I work full-time & go to school part time, so I have very few hours to spare):

October – 7 hours weekly – first two weeks LG Bible and second two weeks LR Bible
November – 7 hours weekly – the last 10 prep tests
December – take test

I am skipping CR studying as this is my best area.

1.   Is this enough hours to fully prep for the test? If not how many more would you suggest?
2.   I have a 3.6 GPA what kind of LSAT score would I need to qualify for any non-need based scholarships?
3.   What the heck is a “splitter”?
4.   I work with a few attorneys. Would a LOR be weighted more from them than my professors?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »
1.  And average of 1 hour per day is weaksauce imho.  Whether it's sufficient to get the score you want, who knows.  How many you should do depends on lots of things including where you're scoring now, where you need to be scoring for the schools you will apply to, how quickly you learn, and how much time you're willing to allocate to get the score you want.  Also, get a tutor or take a class.

2.  Depends on the school, but a higher score will never hurt.

3.  A splitter is a student with low GPA and high LSAT or vice versa.  Some schools are more likely than others to admit splitters (I've also heard these schools referred to as "splitters").

4.  Your best LOR will come from someone who knows you well as a person.  Someone who doesn't know you, the person, is likely to use generic phrases to describe you, and this does nothing to help admissions people decide whether you will be an asset in the classroom.  You want someone who can offer anecdotes and specific events that helped define you in their eyes.  Most schools will request that 1 or 2 of your LORs come from professors, but others can come from wherever (I actually had my next door neighbor write one for me).  Anyway, make sure your LORs come from someone you've spent considerable time with, not just someone in a prestigious position.

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
1.  And average of 1 hour per day is weaksauce imho

Can you give me your thoughts of what a minimum amount of time would be for the "average" lsat candidate who is completing self study? I know this all depends but could you give me a range for the "average candidate" who say works full time and studies part time?

Also have you heard any pros/cons of the weekend power scores class?

Thanks for the info

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
I have no idea about an average LSAT candidate, but who the hell wants to be average anyway??  I self-studied 3-4 hours a night for about 3 months while working full-time during the day.  (I don't recommend 100% self-study, however.)

sumsunshine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:50:45 PM »
(I don't recommend 100% self-study, however.)

why not?

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:53:52 PM »
Want to be sure if your method of studying is working? Take frequent diagnostics. If your score is less than what you desire OR if you aren't improving as time progresses, then you should probably be studying more.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:59:39 AM »
(I don't recommend 100% self-study, however.)

why not?

Because books don't give feedback on your bad habits like people do.

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 12:39:40 PM »
I self-studied 3-4 hours a night for about 3 months while working full-time during the day.  (I don't recommend 100% self-study, however.)

Earl, fair enough. I guess I would rephrase the question. What is the average number of minimum required hours needed to complete self study using the bibles?

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »
I self-studied 3-4 hours a night for about 3 months while working full-time during the day.  (I don't recommend 100% self-study, however.)

Earl, fair enough. I guess I would rephrase the question. What is the average number of minimum required hours needed to complete self study using the bibles?

It's an individual thing. Why don't you complete them and let us know?
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

J.J. Gittes

• Fight On, State.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - luvshoops3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »
Some schools are more likely than others to admit splitters (I've also heard these schools referred to as "splitters").

out of curiosity, what schools fall into this category?