Law School Discussion

Clerkship applications are out...

Thistle

• View Profile
Re: Clerkship applications are out...
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »
dammit, its been an hour since opening bell and i havent gotten any calls yet!

whats WRONG with those people?   ;)

People seem to be having mixed experience. I have a friend who still hasn't heard anything as well... whereas I've gotten four COA calls so far (way more than I expected).

Don't get discouraged, the calls will come!!

well, thanks (and congratulations) but i'm nothing special and at a little regional t3 to boot....i'm not gonna get any calls, and i really dont expect any.  MAYBE i will get an interview from the local 8th circuit judge, but thats a big maybe

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:29:18 PM »
Word on the street (well, the Clerkship Notification Blog) is that the 8th circuit judges had some sort of conference... but now they're saying that wasn't true.  Who knows?

I have three great interviews across the country, and have a legitimate shot at two (because the first judge does not make exploding offers, it's not a first come, first serve thing there).  I really love the judge I have Friday morning, but given the nature of the process it is probably not to be... if he's like most judges, he will have snapped up his applicants on Thursday... and I might not be able to delay if another judge gives me an offer.  So be it--I would love to work for any of them!

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »
Spent $4,000 on travel and got nothing.   :'(

It's rough.... you feel good to get an interview, but all the judges I met were interviewing like 20 people for 2 spots.  I think I did well in my interviews, but I guess the odds were still stacked against me.  [EDIT:  Actually, I know I did well--two out of the three COA judges I interviewed with expressed how much they liked me at the end of the interview, and said they were interviewing everyone before deciding but were very interested in me... but apparently not interested enough.   :(  One, however, did want to talk about 2010, but it's a location my fiance won't move to so I think I will not want to do it in two years.]

I guess I am luckier than most, though, because tomorrow I'm meeting with the district court judge I worked for after my 1L year.  He hasn't hired yet, and said he will consider me.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »

It's rough.... you feel good to get an interview, but all the judge I met were interviewing like 20 people for 2 spots.  I think I did well in my interviews, but I guess the odds were still stacked against me.

I guess I am luckier than most, though, because tomorrow I'm meeting with the district court judge I worked for after my 1L year.  He hasn't hired yet, and said he will consider me.

Awww Legapp, I'm sorry.  :(

I really hope things go better with the DC judge from your 1L year.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 07:46:32 PM »

Good luck!

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 08:07:10 PM »

It's rough.... you feel good to get an interview, but all the judge I met were interviewing like 20 people for 2 spots.  I think I did well in my interviews, but I guess the odds were still stacked against me.

sorry legapp....i had my one interview today, which went really well, but who knows.....and yeah, i spent $800 on my trip too....

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 08:48:46 PM »
Yay!  I didn't get my dream COA judge, but at least I have a clerkship... and with a judge I already know that I love to work for.   :)

I will be clerking for the same district court judge I worked for after my 1L summer.  It's two years, but hey, they say clerking is the best job you'll ever have, right?  I still plan to reapply for COA after... I'm a glutton for punishment that way.  But for now, I can finally relax.   ;D

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 09:24:54 PM »
oooh, congratulations!

i'll probably do the same thing, should i get this district court gig....reapply for circuits next year

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 06:40:28 AM »
Yay!  I didn't get my dream COA judge, but at least I have a clerkship... and with a judge I already know that I love to work for.   :)

I will be clerking for the same district court judge I worked for after my 1L summer.  It's two years, but hey, they say clerking is the best job you'll ever have, right?  I still plan to reapply for COA after... I'm a glutton for punishment that way.  But for now, I can finally relax.   ;D

Talk to your judge and people at your school for when you need to apply for COA for your second year out of school.  Because judges aren't hiring now-3L, they aren't in any way tied to the federal system, and can interview whenever they want.  I know people who interviewed in late fall/winter of their 3L year for their next clerkship (after having already landing a fed clerkship for after graduation).  You may need to start on that process sooner than you think!

And congrats!  I've heard clerking is the best job ever, but it's all the more satisfying when it's for a judge you like, and one who you know is willing to teach and mentor you!