Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 4th tier law school success  (Read 2052 times)

lukeache

• View Profile
    • Email
4th tier law school success
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »

I wanted to start a thread on people that went to 4th tier schools or even schools that are not even accredited and today are very successful. One example that came to mind is Roni Deutch, I think her firm is the largest, most profitable tax resolution firm in the nation, she is a graduate of Western State University College of Law. Of course, she is a total crook but she is a millionaire and has not been disbarred(yet). Tim Russert is a graduate of Cleveland State, pretty successful guy, even Joe Biden, a graduate of Syracuse with a less that stellar law school record is possibly becoming the next vice president of the USA. :)

fertsru

• ICQ Messenger - 483674619
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 4th tier law school success
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:19:41 PM »
When you walk through the corridors of many schools (including 4th tier), you'll see plenty of their alumni who became judges, justices, etc. Doesn't yours have the same?  ::)
Per aspera ad astra.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:54:55 PM »
We could also start a sister thread entitled "T14 law school failures"
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

jubcoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:40:33 AM »
For the record, Cleveland State is T3 and climbing.

I'll echo the sentiment of the earlier comments, schools can place in the third or fourth tier nationally but still place very well regionally.

I go to Cleveland state, for example. Though nationally it is a third tier school, within the City of cleveland, it is very well respected, has over a 90% bar passage rate, and places graduate with all the cleveland Biglaw firms, including Jones Day, Squires Sanders Dempsey. Most of the judges in this area also came from CSU, and csu grads serve on district courts, as well as the Ohio Supreme Court. That's not to say that its impossible to leave the area out of CSU, but it is certainly more difficult, in large part to the school's regional reputation.

National rankings are better at capturing the strengths and weaknesses of national programs, but they don't do a good job of describing the merits of regional programs.

lukeache

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »
"T14" is of course only an internet fabrication perpetuated by shameless GULC trolls.

Very well said! Here in St Paul, we have a law school called William Mitchell which is a great school, great facilities, library and very well respected here in Minnesota. I have read a few threads here where people criticized the school, without even knowing anything about it. Billy Mitchell is a pretty good school :)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:09:47 AM »
"T14" is of course only an internet fabrication perpetuated by shameless GULC trolls.

Well I do live under a bridge and subsist on people passing over.

"t14" however, is no more a fabrication than are T2/3/4
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

huhwhat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:53:19 AM »

I wanted to start a thread on people that went to 4th tier schools or even schools that are not even accredited and today are very successful. One example that came to mind is Roni Deutch, I think her firm is the largest, most profitable tax resolution firm in the nation, she is a graduate of Western State University College of Law. Of course, she is a total crook but she is a millionaire and has not been disbarred(yet). Tim Russert is a graduate of Cleveland State, pretty successful guy, even Joe Biden, a graduate of Syracuse with a less that stellar law school record is possibly becoming the next vice president of the USA. :)

Syracuse is not 4th tier, check the rankings.

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 09:57:17 AM »
I thought T14 came into being when virtually the same schools showed up there consistently year after year? I think the only school to sneak into the T14 since it became a "household name" has been Duke.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »
So GULC has that much more in common with YLS than UCLA? 

You misunderstand. I am not defending the concept of a t14. I am attacking the whole silly business of placing schools into groups based on their USNEWS rankings.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »
School name is a lot like stacking the deck in your favor (or having the deck stacked against you). 

And at certain schools it's more than that.  There are T3/4 schools where the top of the class will at best have a shot at a mid-sized firm or becoming Legal Writing professors at the school's writing center, and there are schools where the bottom of the class will pick between several good job offers.

I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701