Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Got a callback when i never had an initial call....what is going on....  (Read 1802 times)

dinsosaur junior

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hmm. Strange thing. I applied to a firm, did not get an initial screening interview, and then got a letter inviting me to a 1/2 day interview. So it's a callback. But I guess it's not really a call back since I never had an initial call.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Did they mess up in calling me back?  I feel a bit weird about this.

huhwhat

• View Profile
Re: Got a callback when i never had an initial call....what is going on....
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »
I think that's pretty common for firms that don't participate in your school's OCI.  I've had several firms offer me interviews like that.  Only two firms have asked me to visit them for screening interviews rather than going ahead with scheduling "callback" interviews.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:32:25 PM »
I think that's pretty common for firms that don't participate in your school's OCI.  I've had several firms offer me interviews like that.  Only two firms have asked me to visit them for screening interviews rather than going ahead with scheduling "callback" interviews.

Yes.

This isn't all that uncommon, I don't think - it happened to me with the firm I'll be working for when I graduate, and has happened to friends as well. It probably just means that your resume and transcript were strong enough on the surface that they're confident they're interested in doing the callback and so they're not going to waste time with the screening interview.

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me this week and I am a 3L. I thought it was interesting too.

Question - If the firm isn't doing OCI but calls me in for a 1 hour interview, it's still a screening interview right?

Eh, yeah, 1 hour is probably too short to be a callback. You never know, though. Why don't you ask if there will be a "follow-up" interview when you meet the recruiting director?

TH14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 07:30:18 PM »

Yes.

This isn't all that uncommon, I don't think - it happened to me with the firm I'll be working for when I graduate, and has happened to friends as well. It probably just means that your resume and transcript were strong enough on the surface that they're confident they're interested in doing the callback and so they're not going to waste time with the screening interview.

Do firms ever do phone interviews to screen before inviting you for a callback?

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:15:25 PM »

Yes.

Do firms ever do phone interviews to screen before inviting you for a callback?

Yes.
2L

lexvitae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »

I agree.  My school has some firms that just do "resume collection."  From that I received 3 callbacks without a screening, while some other firms had me come to their office for the screening first.  I was just wondering how common this was and I am glad to see other people are having the same experience.

dinsosaur junior

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »
Me, too! It's great to learn this is common. When I firt saw the letter, I thought, how have i been rejected from a firm I never interviewed with?  But now it's making more sense. Hopefully more will come!