Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not sure which SBA position to run for... Advice?  (Read 954 times)

likeitmatters

• View Profile
Not sure which SBA position to run for... Advice?
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »
My school holds elections for the SBA positions (as I'm sure most do).  I'm planning on running for one of them, but i'm not sure which one to go with.  I can choose between the following.

1L President
1L Vice President
1L Secretary
1L Treasurer
1L Representative

I asked the current SBA officers for some info on the positions, but they didn't really have much to offer.  they said that it depends on what your class wants you to do.  Does anyone have experience with these positions?  What kinds of duties did you have?  The only one that I dont really want to do is Treasurer, just bc I'm not really a math person (hense the law school plan... lol).

Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure which SBA position to run for... Advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 06:46:28 PM »
perhaps petition to be able to run for "Secretary of Defense."  This will give you unlimited access to the arms cache located within your respective school's basement.  You may then systematically pick off your nearest 1L competitors with subversive accusations/labels (i.e. terrorist, fascist, etc.) and, if necessary, outright force.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:28:05 PM »
My advice is not to run for any of those positions.  I think the SBA is a waste of time.  SBA officers are known throughout many law school communities as being useless blowhards. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »
My advice is not to run for any of those positions.  I think the SBA is a waste of time.  SBA officers are known throughout many law school communities as being useless blowhards. 

Agreed.  It's a waste of your time, and won't earn you any points on your resume.  You may be better off doing something practical like volunteering or an internship.

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:34:53 PM »
Remember what you thought of the people on student council? This is just like that.  There are other, better resume builders around.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »
nthing not doing it at all.  SBA is generally ineffective and time-consuming.  YMMV.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 02:53:03 PM »
What if OP wants to be a politician?  Tangible experience as a useless blowhard could come in handy.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »
Remember what you thought of the people on student council? This is just like that.  There are other, better resume builders around.

This was my attitude towards SBA officers until I actually worked with some over the summer. I think it's a fine resume builder if you want to present yourself as someone who gets involved in an organization and is good at planning things. It's good to be involved in SOMEthing just to show that you have time-management skills. It could be SBA or something else.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »
Anything at all you do with your free time that can go on your resume is a good talking point for interviews.

Might as well do something that's actually productive.   :)
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.