Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Powerscore Question  (Read 2624 times)

Craving Oyer

• View Profile
Powerscore Question
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:37:37 AM »
For anyone who has taken Powerscore's courses, a couple questions:

1) Is the course material different in any way than the Bibles? If I've read the LGB and LRB, is it overkill to take the course? Or do the materials compliment each other?

2) Has anyone taken the Powerscore Virtual Course? The live class isn't offered in my area, so I would be taking the Virtual Course. Any reviews?

Thanks!
December LSAT: 162
LSAC GPA: 3.05 (3.65)

acefreely

• View Profile
Re: Powerscore Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 12:22:19 AM »
I have taken the Powerscore virtual course and it helped me tremendously. What's really cool is that all of your online sessions are archived so that you can go back and watch them as needed. It's just like any other class in that if you are motivated to succeed you will do so...

The big plus to Powerscore (or any good system) is that you get a proven method to identify and address each specific question type. The system breaks each section down into specific question types and teaches you how to identify and address each particular type. Also Powerscore provides all the materials and practice tests that you could possibly want.

I could tell a difference in my approach after the first session. We started with "must be true" questions and an intro to logic games...good stuff. The diagrams that I learned for the logic games were worth the price alone. If you are sharp you'll be fine and catch on quick.

Craving Oyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 09:36:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply, that's very encouraging.

How were your instructors?

How was the functionality of the course? Were there a lot of technical issues or did it run pretty smoothly?

acefreely

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:46:55 PM »
The instructors I had were awesome. There were two for each class. One instructor would answer the chat questions and talk back and forth to you through chat (as well as add insight and advice to the main instructor). The second (main) instructor would go through each model and explain everything. The main instructor would verbally answer most questions, which are asked by the students via chat. You can raise your hand at any time if you want the instructor to stop so that you can ask a question.

I was very impressed with the software used, it's called Elluminate (http://www.elluminate.com/). Actually I liked the format so much that I wish all college classes were taught in the same manner. You have the hard copy material, the instructors and the student interaction, but with much less BS (very little wasted time!).

As far as technical aspects there was only one that I can remember and that was from a student using dial up. The assistant instructor talked to her and I assume the issue was resolved. If you have a good computer and broadband connection you should be fine.

Craving Oyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:36:47 AM »
Awesome, thanks.

How would you rate the materials? Is there still anything new to be garnered from the Powerscore class if you have thoroughly reviewed the LGB and LRB?

acefreely

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 12:04:09 AM »
Awesome, thanks.

How would you rate the materials? Is there still anything new to be garnered from the Powerscore class if you have thoroughly reviewed the LGB and LRB?

Sorry for the late reply I don't get on here often.

There is much to be gained above the LGB and LRB. The books you get with the virtual course (there are 3) contain all the lessons and LOTS of practice material (including LGB and LRB). They really break down every question type and show you how to solve them.

I would just say that for $1000, you get all the tools and material you need to succeed. You will get out of it what you put into it. For me it was worth every penny and then some...

BTW my instructor was a guy called Ron and he was very good.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 12:09:57 AM »
For anyone who has taken Powerscore's courses, a couple questions:

1) Is the course material different in any way than the Bibles? If I've read the LGB and LRB, is it overkill to take the course? Or do the materials compliment each other?

2) Has anyone taken the Powerscore Virtual Course? The live class isn't offered in my area, so I would be taking the Virtual Course. Any reviews?

Thanks!

Okay, well I've been enrolled in their virtual course for sometime now and I can say this much about a comparsion between courses/materials:

1) There is quite a bit of overlap, particularily with regard to Logical Reasoning. It isn't really necessary to purchase the LR bible if you're enrolled in one of their courses (whether it be the full length or otherwise). I would highly recommend buying the LG Bible however.

2) The virtual class is quite good. Particularily if you're combining self study with a quasi-class environment. One con, if you're looking for class structure, take their full length course - aside from the division of topics into lessons the VC won't provide the requisite structured environment. Essentially, it's up to you to review the concepts and complete the work.

Best of Luck.

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:06:29 AM »
Has anyone tried their weekend course?

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »
I would just start with the Bibles and go from there. Courses are a waste of money, generally. Studying on your own and then addressing persistent weaknesses with tutoring is a great way to score higher on the LSAT.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

ishjudy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 01:31:07 AM »
i was working with the bibles, but it was difficult for me to be motivated.  i enrolled in the course.  a lot of the coursework comes from the bibles, so you don't need the bibles if you take a course, but it's nice to have the bibles since they go very in-depth so it's good to have if you're particularly struggling with one area.  also, i write all over my books; so it's easier to have another book then erasing all my work.

the instructors are awesome (i have brian and don).  one teaches the course and one answers private questions---that's my favorite part because the instructor doesn't have to slow the entire class down for one student. 

and the archive courses are great.  i go back and look at specific lessons that gave me difficulties. 

good luck!

oh, and it def. was not a waste of my money.
jle