Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Important are Soft Factors? 31/URM/3.39  (Read 1320 times)

curls77

• View Profile
How Important are Soft Factors? 31/URM/3.39
« on: September 01, 2008, 12:06:10 PM »
I am a 31 y.o. Caribbean American femal who move to the US at 16.

Graduated from Howar U - LDAS 3.39
BBA Inofrmation Systems - I.T Consulting work experience
Booz Allen Hamilton- IT Associate
Accenture - IT Analyst
Worked during undergrad, interned every summer - DaimlerChrysler, Travellers Group, Web Development Company
DoD Issued Security Clearance
National Women of Color Rising Star in (Science, Technology, Math, Engineering) Award Receipient - 2008
Received 3 internal Booz Allen awards as well as letters of recognition and appreciation from various DoD Clients
Volunteers - Mentors Students

I said all that to say - I am currently testing at 162(on practice exams), and am aiming for a t-14.  Should I hold off until December?

How much do schools ususally boost for soft factors?  Any thoughts?

Thx!

qt314

• Sr. Citizen
  • pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
Re: How Important are Soft Factors? 31/URM/3.39
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:33:41 PM »
Soft factors are negligible unless you have none (in which case you'd be doomed), or unless you're applying within your range (meaning, your GPA and LSAT scores are about the target scores for the school you're interested in). Your URM status is a boost, and the standard line here is that Northwestern seems to prefer nontrads with work experience, so you might have a boost there.

I'd really encourage you to work on your LSAT score, because it factors into your chances in a really major way and it's something you really have the power to change.

NYU Class of 2011!

princealberto

• View Profile
Re: How Important are Soft Factors? 31/URM/3.39
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:57:51 AM »
For the OP: For what it's worth, Powerscore recommends that you postpone until December if you think you can pick up even 3 points. (http://www.powerscore.com/LSAT/help/when.cfm)

I think I can get another 3, so I'm waiting.