Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Don't More People Apply and Go to Howard for Law School???  (Read 2393 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why Don't More People Apply and Go to Howard for Law School???
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »
According to ILRG.com, the majority of Howard grads take the bar exam in NY. They managed a 61% bar passage rate in 2007, which was the lowest of any school whose graduates primarily took the bar in NY (15.5% lower than the state average). That basically says it all.

Yet, when you look at the employment stats, Howard's graduates are very similiar to upper Tier 2 or lower Tier 1 graduates. There are just tons more employers, including big law firms interviewing there, menaing many more opporutnities for its students and graduates. 

acefreely

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 11:56:10 PM »
When I clicked, I totally thought the title said "Why don't more people apply and go to Harvard for law school"

me too!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 06:55:04 AM »
According to ILRG.com, the majority of Howard grads take the bar exam in NY. They managed a 61% bar passage rate in 2007, which was the lowest of any school whose graduates primarily took the bar in NY (15.5% lower than the state average). That basically says it all.

Yet, when you look at the employment stats, Howard's graduates are very similiar to upper Tier 2 or lower Tier 1 graduates. There are just tons more employers, including big law firms interviewing there, menaing many more opporutnities for its students and graduates. 

Seems unlikely.  Don't trust employment stats.

In response to your general Q:

1.  As noted, the atmosphere might not be that welcoming to whites, espeically any whites who aren't insanely liberal, and/or constantly professing guilt for the alleged sins of their forebears.

2.  Academic standards aren't that high in comparison to higher-ranked schools.

3.  Facilities aren't great.

4.  As noted, the employers are there to hire minorities.  No reason to hire a white kid with (probably) relatively low entrance credentials -- they can be obtained from more competitive schools.

I know a black girl who is considering Howard, because she loves the atmosphere.  I know she'll get a full ride and be happy there, so I've encouraged her to do it.  I know she'll probably end up near the top of her class (she has very good numbers and attitude), and that should make her very marketable.  But I don't think the same analysis applies to a white kid.

I think the only reason for a white kid to attend Howard is if he/she's really focused on the civil rights angle that Howard emphasises, wants to study in D.C., and can't get into a higher-ranked program.

luboman411

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »
How about a Hispanic kid with both a UGPA and an LSAT score at the top 25% of what Howard accepts?  I obviously could get in somewhere that is ranked much higher than Howard, but I was thinking of using Howard as my one of my safeties.  And the LSAT score is still negotiable since I haven't taken it yet (probably in Oct., most likely in Dec).  I ultimately seek to work in big law, so Howard's popularity in the big law recruitment circuit is mighty tempting...

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 05:29:15 PM »
How about a Hispanic kid with both a UGPA and an LSAT score at the top 25% of what Howard accepts?  I obviously could get in somewhere that is ranked much higher than Howard, but I was thinking of using Howard as my one of my safeties.  And the LSAT score is still negotiable since I haven't taken it yet (probably in Oct., most likely in Dec).  I ultimately seek to work in big law, so Howard's popularity in the big law recruitment circuit is mighty tempting...

This might actually make sense as well, assuming the firms know you're hispanic.