Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I did not get an A in my first law school class  (Read 2666 times)

euphrasie

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - allardjr@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
I did not get an A in my first law school class
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:16:20 AM »
Should I shoot myself?

Weigh in here.
Married: Seattle 2011!
Love: Fordham PT, Seton Hall PT, USF PT, Seattle PT, Lewis & Clark PT, USD PT
Like: W&M
Hate: Georgetown PT, Harvard

LSN

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: I did not get an A in my first law school class
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 02:50:43 AM »
Sorry to hear it.  Just remember 90% of law students finish outside of the top 10%.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 03:39:21 AM »
So that's where all of the outlining and briefing got you?

;)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »
It won't be the last time you don't get an A.  I made about 5 A's in my entire law school career after making probably less than 5 B's during my previous academic experience.  It's hard to accept that you aren't the smartest person in the class any more, but the sooner that you do accept that fact the easier it will be for you to come to terms with not making the absolute top grades. 

MCD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »
It won't be the last time you don't get an A.  I made about 5 A's in my entire law school career after making probably less than 5 B's during my previous academic experience.  It's hard to accept that you aren't the smartest person in the class any more, but the sooner that you do accept that fact the easier it will be for you to come to terms with not making the absolute top grades. 

Getting A's on law school exams does not make you smarter than people getting B's. If someone actually tried to turn in a law school exam as some sort of final work product, it would most likely be urinated on then set on fire or otherwise rejected. The quality of writing on law school exams is piss poor, and when you go to practice law you're not taking exams for clients. Some people are better at handling the time pressure of exams than others. I hardly see how that makes them smarter generally.

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 11:26:43 AM »
i did not get an A in my first law school class either (at the same school you are at.) i got significalty lower than an A.  i finished the year in top 15% and xfered.
3L

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
I got a C in my intro to law course, got pissed, then finished in top 2% in class, then transferred as well.

euphrasie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 12:55:19 PM »
The multiple choice killed me, I think. I swear, none of the answers were quite right... even when I knew the answer cold, I couldn't figure out which answer was correct from the choices given.

And, yes, without briefing cases and doing an outline, I would have gotten a significantly lower grade... or looked like a total moron when called on in class.

LSN

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »
A's who needs A's? Just check out Joe Biden's law school record:

http://cdobs.com/archive/our-columns/joe-biden-is-definitely-a-characterbut-does-he-have-character,1583/

It just goes to show that if you don't study hard, but make false claims about your academic prowess in lawschool, then you too can be VP candidate!

euphrasie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »
Oh, I'm not doing that much work. I probably shouldn't be so surprised that I didn't get an A because of that very fact! I brief each case and do an end of class outline, and take notes... and do the reading. Other than that, I pretty much only studied for about 6 hours the day of the exam and attended a few study groups. Still, I felt like I knew the material cold (let's face it, it's not that complicated, just a lot to remember) so I expected an A- at least, and ended up with a B+.

Then again, woe is me, right? A B+ isn't so bad.

Have you read Getting to Maybe?  If you're putting all this work, you might not be studying smart.  Don't underestimate the utility of a tactical change.

LSN