Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thrown to the wolves  (Read 5132 times)

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thrown to the wolves
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »
There's am ounce of truth in that, at least at my T3.  My percentage rank was very good, but we also had quite a few dropouts, no-shows for class and people trying to re-live their freshman year of college.  I don't know what goes on during 1L at the T14, but I would bet that there's not the same level of tomfoolery.  ;-)

lol.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 10:07:40 PM »
Talk to the admissions people at your school -- they really do want transfers to enjoy the experience.

Previous transfer students at my new school provided excellent feedback to the administration, and it really has paid off for current transfer students.  The administration has been great and really have welcomed us to the school well.

That said, I also have not had a single negative experience in terms of the whole "transfer stigma."  I had heard things about it, but I think it really was more of something that made me feel uncomfortable when first meeting people (as I couldn't talk about first year profs and didn't have the same shared experiences of other 2Ls).  Anyway, the more people I got to know, the easier it was.  People have been incredibly welcoming and not one person has treated me as if I don't belong at "their school."

Of course, people at my new school do rock.  So, there is that.

random2341

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 02:07:59 PM »
something that has really helped me was enrolling right away in classes that are very interactive - small seminars, negotiation simulation classes, moot court, etc. I dont know a single person in my one doctrinal class b/c its just a lecture and we never speak to each other, but I know and talk to everyone in the interactive classes.

my two cents

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 02:17:24 AM »
I'll never understand why some think transfers are unworthy, I think a years worth of school and grades is more telling than a 2 hour test  ???

A TWO hour test?  I have a quick tip that may help you improve your LSAT score...
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 01:01:10 AM »
I almost think my transfer school had too much by way of orientation. I have had the opposite experience. I love my new school, and am really enjoying it. The people have been fantastic! And my friends from 1L are still my friends (a handful of them transferred, anyway!) and we still talk all the time. I'm really glad I transferred.
Vanderbilt 2010

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 05:29:41 PM »
I almost think my transfer school had too much by way of orientation. I have had the opposite experience. I love my new school, and am really enjoying it. The people have been fantastic! And my friends from 1L are still my friends (a handful of them transferred, anyway!) and we still talk all the time. I'm really glad I transferred.

This is because you transferred to Vanderbilt  ;)

I think I just figured out who you are.  We met for the first time at the halloween party, and were both considering the same firm for next summer.  You ended up going with a DC firm, correct?  If so, hope your break's going well.  My post count on these boards is way up which is a good sign I'm outlining.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 02:16:59 AM »
Hmmm, did we? You have a good memory!!!! What was your costume?
Vanderbilt 2010

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 03:06:49 AM »
Hmmm, did we? You have a good memory!!!! What was your costume?

Alvin and the Chipmunks. I got to be Alvin because one of my friends is tall & skinny (Simon) and the other was a fat kid growing up (Theodore, naturally).

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 01:14:12 PM »
I remember now! I was one of many devils floating around Cadillac Ranch that night. Not my most creative costume.
Vanderbilt 2010

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »
I remember now! I was one of many devils floating around Cadillac Ranch that night. Not my most creative costume.

Haha... it's ok. You're still relatively new here.  On a related note, I'm not happy VBA decided to plan Barristers Ball the same weekend as Mardi Gras.  8-hr roadtrip down to NOLA for a weekend clearly outweighs an Arabian Nights-themed law school prom, at least IMHO.  Hopefully next year's VBA will be more sensitive to the other reasons people come to study law in Nashville.