Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: low GPA, high lsat. Miami?  (Read 3761 times)

quickQ

• View Profile
low GPA, high lsat. Miami?
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:15:10 AM »
Hi all,

My undergrad record is weak for the first two years and then very strong. I'll just be honest

y1 1.3
y2 1.0
academic withdrawal (got the boot)
y3 3.1
y4 3.7
y5 3.7

A CGPA of (embarassing) 2.65.

That was 7 years ago. Since then, I've worked as a journalist in China, Singapore and Turkey. I have an LSAT of 166.

I want to go to the University of Miami.

Possible or impossible?

Thanks!!

quickQ

• View Profile
Re: low GPA, high lsat. Miami?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:26:19 AM »
http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0708/

In.

Man, I feel like somebody punched me. I was totally convinced I'd be laughed at.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 01:35:54 AM »
Go noodle around in that site for awhile, it may open you up to a lot of possibilities. A 166 is a great score for lots of schools in the T2. Do a bunch of research before you settle on your list.

quickQ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 01:53:21 AM »
Thanks kindly for the reply, and the link.

Is that site quite reliable?

Is there a chart that converts a 9 point scale to the lsac 4.33 point? My undergrad institution used a 9 point... Does the lsac use a standardized or consult the institution itself for advice?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 08:18:20 AM »
It is a self reported site, but seems pretty accurate. I am sure some people tweak their numbers slightly to preserve anonymity, and others make up accounts to start arguments, so don't take every data point as gospel.

It also seems to be skewed towards users who are "the cream of the crop" numbers-wise, so that might effect the grids a bit.

I don't know about the 9 point conversion, but the times I have called LSDAS they have been very helpful.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 08:38:44 AM »
You'll totally get in.  In fact, you might get some $.

I highly recommend you highlight your maturity in your personal statement.  You've come a long way since the academic withdrawal - write an addendum addressing that period of your life, characterizing it as aberrant.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »

sluglaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »
If Miami is your dream school, go for.  I think you might have a shot at some even higher ranked schools, though.  Having a 3.7 average for your last two years is great.  A 166 is a very solid above average score.  Your work experience is very unique, I think.  It shows that you are a mature person if you were able to be a successful journalist in 3 different foreign countries, and it also gives you a much more worldly perspective that not a lot of other applicants are going to have.  It's been 10 years since you got booted from school, and you have clearly matured significantly since then.  Miami should be a lock, and honestly if you are willing to spend the money (and want to go to a different school) then apply to a lot of schools in tier 1.  You never know where you're going to get in.