Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: dinner question  (Read 2596 times)

havocness

• View Profile
    • Email
dinner question
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:39:58 PM »
Is it inappropriate at a dinner to get a martini if the few attorneys from the firm with which you're interviewing get wine?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: dinner question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 10:50:13 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't.  I'd get either wine or beer if all the other attorneys are getting wine.

But is it strictly in appropriate?  I personally don't think so.  If you stuck to one drink, in an ideal world, there wouldn't be any judgment for that.  But since we won't live in an ideal world, and you wondered if it was appropriate or not, you may want to just stick to the types of drinks the other attorneys are ordering.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:51:11 AM »
Keep ordering mixed drinks (doubles) until you're convinced that law school was actually the right choice.  ;-)
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

havocness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't.  I'd get either wine or beer if all the other attorneys are getting wine.

But is it strictly in appropriate?  I personally don't think so.  If you stuck to one drink, in an ideal world, there wouldn't be any judgment for that.  But since we won't live in an ideal world, and you wondered if it was appropriate or not, you may want to just stick to the types of drinks the other attorneys are ordering.

ugh, i guess that's what i get for trying to be someone i'm not.. i don't usually drink, but i felt more awkward not ordering something since everyone else was. the dinner overall was fine.. my interviews the next day went really well though. hopefully if the attorneys thought i was less than stellar at dinner, the next day's interviews will save me. what do you think?

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 04:51:18 PM »
I think dinner/lunch is one of the most important parts of the interview.

havocness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »

Well, then, hopefully my drink order wasn't too gasp-worthy. also, i didn't drink the whole thing. sigh, someone make me feel better. i really wanna work at this place.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:11:11 PM »
If you established a good rapport with the interviewers, I don't see why ordering a martini instead of wine was a big deal.  Employers should want to see a little bit of personality and taste in your interactions with them.  Just sit tight and wait to hear back, like a lot of us.
2L

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 06:20:09 PM »
It's perfectly fine to order alcohol at dinner (as long as you limit to one drink). Alcohol at lunch, on the other hand, is a big no-no.

Well, then, hopefully my drink order wasn't too gasp-worthy. also, i didn't drink the whole thing. sigh, someone make me feel better. i really wanna work at this place.
Georgetown

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 07:41:48 PM »
If ordering a martini at dinner keeps them from hiring you, then I don't see that as the kind of place you truly want to work. That's how I tend to think about these things, anyway.

havocness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »
If ordering a martini at dinner keeps them from hiring you, then I don't see that as the kind of place you truly want to work. That's how I tend to think about these things, anyway.

word. i need to keep these things in perspective and not go totally crazy with overanalyzing  :-\