Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I got a puppy.  (Read 1535 times)

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
I got a puppy.
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:55:03 AM »
For those of you interested, I got a puppy last week.  Eight days before the start of Fall Semester.

So,  what's the consensus here?  Good call, or sure scholastic catastrophe?

pictures of my new puppy are on my blog if anyone cares.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: I got a puppy.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 09:13:12 AM »
I'm planning on getting a puppy this semester, but I'm a 2L and I live less than five minutes walk from school. I'm planning on coming home between classes to take the dog out and make sure it's not lonely, so I had to make sure that I never have more than three hours of classes in a row, because an 8 week old puppy can only hold it for three hours, tops. I stayed at school all day as a 1L (and lived further away), so a dog wouldn't have worked for me at all last year. However, I think this year's the best time for me to get a dog in the foreseeable future--I'm not working full time, and I can get home during the day. After this, I'll be working, and I'd have no time for a puppy. I'm excited. It's going to be awesome.

Your dog's cute.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
Thanks, I think she's cute too!
I live about 15 minutes from school, so I can only make it home around lunchtime, but that works out to being 3 hours and 3 hours.  But, she's been here for a week now so I know she's settling in, and she has two cat friends to play with.

I figured that it would always be better to wait to get a dog, but at some point you just have to decide that now is good enough.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:36:30 PM »
That's not crazy.  Crazy is getting a puppy 1.5 months before starting BIGLAW job, when you and your SO already have a dog.  :)

And my SO and I got our first puppy just before I started my second semester of 1L.  Generally, it's probably one of the better times to add a new pet to the household.

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:49:26 PM »
she has two cat friends to play with.

Did you/will you learn the hard way that dogs like to eat cat poop from litter boxes, or have you made appropriate preventive precautions?   :P

MeloMan15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:51:21 PM »
Great call

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:00:50 PM »
Oh god yes - even with a covered litter box, my dog helped himself to a "snack."  We had to position the litter box in an odd way that made it so the dog couldn't get his head in.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:13:05 AM »
We have kind of a "dual master suite" style apartment, and we have a baby gate that blocks one of the sides of the apartment.  The litter box is in that bathroom.  The cats just jump over the gate, the puppy can't.  And when the puppy gets large enough to jump over, we'll get a second gate that has a small opening for cats, and then block off that side.  It's the cats' safetyzone while everyone gets comfortable with one another.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 06:20:16 PM »
Um no Jacy crazy is getting a puppy in your 3rd year of law school when you already have two dogs! What can I say, I am a sucker for sob stories (friend rescued an emaciated and neglected dog who was pregnant).

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Ok, let's say that I was mildly crazy, and you are batsh*t insane.  :)  I totally understand the desire to rescue.  Every damn time I walk into a pet place like PetSmart and they have "adoption day" I just want to take everyone home with me!

**Sorry if this posts twice!