Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Honors program?  (Read 726 times)

LessThanLiz

• View Profile
    • Email
Honors program?
« on: August 26, 2008, 10:50:32 PM »
As far as applying to law school is concerned, is it worth taking on an honors program? That is, is the work I'll put into it worth it relative to how much more competitive it'll make me?

MeloMan15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Honors program?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:00:03 AM »
It will help....how much more work is it?  If you're willing to put in the work I would suggest to do it....but getting an A in a class that is not honors is still great, so just think about that too.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:40:52 AM »
Making academic decisions based on whether it will "get you into law school or not" is a straight road to misery in undergrad, especially once you reach application season and you realize your honors program is worth less than 1 LSAT point in assessing your application.

If you want to take on the honors program out of interest or intellectual challenge, then go ahead, enjoy it and have a blast. If you only want to take it to boost your app, know that it will not do so.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »
It won't make you any more competitive.  Many people apply to law school with honors.  And people don't.  They both get into law school...what matters most is LSAT and GPA.  Like Heartbreaker said, do things if you want to do them, not because of law school.  (With the exception of getting good grades and a good LSAT score...you can do those because of law school if you want  ;) )
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

kman999

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:25:47 AM »
I agree with both of you guys stating that it is to your benefit to do something that you are genuinely interested in.  This has been said in numerous LSD threads, and I think is very very logical advice; however, many times it is reasonable to ask "if this major or that activity will help in the long run."  Certainly you should be interested in something to pursue it, but lets talk about something like an honors program...

Perhaps you would like to be intellectually challenged, and be in classes with other honors students, etc....but I would assume that you would like your efforts to pay off in some way or another, not just for law school admissions but on resumes and within the school community as well.  I believe these questions are very valid, and in my experience with an honors program, its primary benefit was the extra attention and resources garnered within the undergrad institution.  It just made professors throughout all colleges in the university more accessible for any questions I may have had. 

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 11:00:59 AM »
Go with whatever will make your GPA highest.

It's all about the numbers.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?