Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Finishing Undergrad  (Read 679 times)

gooseisland

• View Profile
Finishing Undergrad
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:58:04 PM »
I am going to have to take two summer 09 classes in order to finish my undergrad degree. I was wondering if I could still start law school in fall 09 or would I have to push back starting law school?

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Finishing Undergrad
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »
as long as you're finished UG before you would have to start law school (in late august, presumably) you should be fine.

gooseisland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:14:37 PM »
I would be finished with all my undergrad classes in June but according to my adviser I would not be getting my degree until September. Would this make a difference?

MeloMan15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:49:01 AM »
I'm guessing that if you can show the Law School all of the paper work that you're completed, even though you still technically haven't gotten the degree until September, then it should be all good.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
I'm guessing that if you can show the Law School all of the paper work that you're completed, even though you still technically haven't gotten the degree until September, then it should be all good.

Wrong.

Harvard:
You are eligible to apply if you will have a bachelor's degree by August of the year you intend to enroll at HLS.

Yale:
You must receive, or expect to receive, by the summer of 2008, a bachelorís degree (or the equivalent) from an approved college. All offers of admission are conditional upon graduation.

Boston College:
Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university prior to entering law school [NB: Classes start August 25th]

Brooklyn Law School:
The conferment of a baccalaureate degree from a college or university approved by the New York State Education Department, prior to commencing matriculation at Brooklyn Law School, is required. No student will be permitted to enroll without the award of a baccalaureate degree. [NB: Classes start August 18th]

The lesson? Look up the schools you are interested in applying to and see what their policies are. From just the four examples above, it does not look good.

MeloMan15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »

Wrong.

Harvard:
You are eligible to apply if you will have a bachelor's degree by August of the year you intend to enroll at HLS.

Yale:
You must receive, or expect to receive, by the summer of 2008, a bachelorís degree (or the equivalent) from an approved college. All offers of admission are conditional upon graduation.

Boston College:
Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university prior to entering law school [NB: Classes start August 25th]

Brooklyn Law School:
The conferment of a baccalaureate degree from a college or university approved by the New York State Education Department, prior to commencing matriculation at Brooklyn Law School, is required. No student will be permitted to enroll without the award of a baccalaureate degree. [NB: Classes start August 18th]

The lesson? Look up the schools you are interested in applying to and see what their policies are. From just the four examples above, it does not look good.

Good research but I still dont think I'm wrong.  He has the BA.  He is done.  He just doesn't have the piece of paper yet.  I don't think you fax in the piece of paper with your apps.  So I think as long as you're finished, you have the degree, therefore you are good to go.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »
You don't have a BA just because you finish up the credits. You need to be certified to graduate.

At minimum, to fulfill the law school requirements, you need a piece of paper that confirms you've been certified (ie. a proof of GRADUATION, not degree completion).

Usually, departments only do certifications right before graduation. At my UG, this is only done in October, February and May. Getting a certification in September would be too late. The OP needs to figure out something new.

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 04:41:51 PM »
I think you may be confused. If you finish all your requirements for a degree and you filed all the necessary paperwork, your school should post your completed degree by the time you go to law school.

Maybe your adviser meant you won't be getting your diploma.

But it doesn't matter whether you have your diploma or not, it's about whether your degree is posted on your transcript.

You should clarify this info with your adviser. I do believe she's talking diploma, if she's not, than talk to the dean of your college and then provost (if need be) and explain situation and ask them to expedite posting your degree onto the transcript.