Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Making law review  (Read 3353 times)

AppleDuck

• View Profile
    • Email
Making law review
« on: August 26, 2008, 01:19:20 PM »
I just started law school, and a goal of mine is to be selected for law review at my school.  My question is...

What kind of criteria is normally sought for?

I figure I need to at least make top 10%, but what else should I accomplish and generally how many students make law review?

Thanks in advanced.
Pacific McGeorge '11

jsh26

• View Profile
Re: Making law review
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »
Take a remedial writing course.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:40:07 PM »
Each school is different.  So, you'll need to find out what the requirements are for your school.  Some focus more on grading on, some more on writing on.  Get good grades, and work hard at becoming an excellent writer, and you'll put yourself in decent position.

wlr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:30:57 PM »
There's a new book coming out this year that may help you out.... called "Making Law Review."  Apparently it's a guide to help 1Ls get on law review...

laurenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:43:21 PM »
Grades and being a URM were two of the factors for our Law Review (one was discussed above, one you can't exactly change).  Other than that, a lot of our points depended on how well you could Bluebook (legal citations).  So with that in mind, pay attention to the exercises and general guiding tips given to you about citations throughout your first year.  If you don't realize how important it is at the time, it's easy to dismiss these lessons.

But every school has different qualifications and will require different things for Law Review.  For some schools, anyone can write on with an essay.  For others, only a certain percentage of students can.  I imagine that if you browse your law school website, you can find out what these qualifications are.

MeloMan15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:55:23 PM »
Yeah just find out the requirements and work hard at it...I'm sure you will get it.  Best of luck!

intel

• View Profile

laurenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »
Some law schools try to develop a more "diverse" group of people in their law review staff.  This includes taking race, sexual orientation, income, and other qualities into account.  If I remember correctly, something like 5-10 of 40-45 spots are reserved for these purposes, but I cannot recall the exact numbers.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:16:45 AM »
My school straight grades on the top 10% and then writes-on about 3-4 people per semester, and if you submit an independently produced article that they publish, you get in that way too.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
Yeah -- I was too.  Ours is entirely blind.  Don't want to get into a big AA debate... but I just think it's sort of sad.  And, fwiw, our purely merit law review is far from all white.

My school has several spots that are based on a personal statement, grades, and writing comp.  You indicate your race when you apply...not sure how that is taken into account though.  There aren't many minorities on LR, so I don't get the impression it was necessarily considered. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.