Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is the LSAC calculator accurate?  (Read 1701 times)

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Is the LSAC calculator accurate?
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
Just wondering if the calculator where you enter your GPA and LSAT score on the LSAC website has proven to be pretty accurate in predicting schools' admission decisions?

I just want to know how well I can rely on that resource in determining what schools I have a realistic shot at when I decide on where to apply.

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is the LSAC calculator accurate?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »
It's based off of empirical data, so yeah, it has some validity. I think the LSAC calculator is a pretty useful tool that should be used simply to give you a BALLPARK starting point of where to start when applying. If the calculator says you have a 0-5% chance of getting into that school, that should tell you something. However, it's a calculator, and it is based only off of GPA and LSAT. If you have incredible soft factors (I'm talking about working 10 years in an NGO), then it's different for you. Also, it's different if there's a great disparity between your GPA and LSAT (you have a super-high GPA but a low LSAT, or vice versa).

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »
I'm of the very low GPA variety; I'm very hopeful of a high LSAT, and have PT'd multiple times as high as 168.

Does anyone have any insight as to how much being 5+ years out of undergrad helps soften the blow of accumulating a poor GPA back then?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:53:03 PM »
It will probably help a little.  No one can say exactly, and I'm sure it depends on the school as well.  A high LSAT will offset it for sure, and working for 5+ years puts you in a much better position than someone who just graduated.

I'm of the very low GPA variety; I'm very hopeful of a high LSAT, and have PT'd multiple times as high as 168.

Does anyone have any insight as to how much being 5+ years out of undergrad helps soften the blow of accumulating a poor GPA back then?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:35:55 AM »
I don't know about all that. I got in only to schools where the calculator gave me a decent shot, and I have a looooooooong work record.

It's a numbers game unless you cured cancer or are a very unbalanced splitter.

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 12:55:11 AM »
I don't know about all that. I got in only to schools where the calculator gave me a decent shot, and I have a looooooooong work record.

It's a numbers game unless you cured cancer or are a very unbalanced splitter.

Thanks for the input.

By "decent shot," could you give me an idea what you mean? Like 75% or better?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 12:57:29 AM »
I would have to go back and look, but I believe it was wherever my scores were close to the medians.

I think it was all schools above a 40% chance. Happily the details have faded somewhat.

servinglife

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »
Just wondering if the calculator where you enter your GPA and LSAT score on the LSAC website has proven to be pretty accurate in predicting schools' admission decisions?

I just want to know how well I can rely on that resource in determining what schools I have a realistic shot at when I decide on where to apply.
Note that the disclaimer page preceding the actual calculator indicates that the data may not be actual at the highest and lowest ends of the scale, namely that it may overestimate your chance for those schools that you have a relatively small chance and underestimate your chance at schools to which you have a good chance.

One thing to keep in mind is that, as far as I know, the calculator takes all admission data into account. If a school admits URMs or people with very strong soft factors that have numbers below their averages and you do not represent this type of individual, the calculator may overestimate your chances.