Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: San Diego  (Read 572 times)

gbekaryan

• View Profile
San Diego
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »
I really want to go to school in San Diego because, well, it's freakin' San Diego. I live in L.A. and I went there to visit my girlfriend and have been in love with the city. I know that the only schools in San Diego are USD, Cal Western and Thomas Jefferson. I was going to apply to Cal Western adn USD, I know that neither one is a tier one school. However, I want to work in the San Diego area and was wondering how they place in the area. I know USD will place better, but how would Cal Western be as a fall back? And what do you think my chances are in both 3.55/160

Thank you

friaralum08

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: San Diego
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:30:32 PM »
I live in SD and am applying to USD and CWLS also. I think you have a solid shot at USD and def. money at Cal Western. I feel like the feelings around SD are that USD is the prime spot, in terms of law schools. But I have met and am aware of quite a few happy and employed grads from CWLS. But also, you don't have to go to LS in SD to practice here. I would recommend shooting for the best school possible that has solid mobility around the state.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: San Diego
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:30:55 PM »
Hi there.  I've lived in San Diego for 10 years.  When it was time to pick a law school it was either USD at full cost, or Cal Western for free.  USD is the big fish in the little legal pond we have here.  If you're leaning towards large firm jobs with a high starting salary and high hours, then I'd probably say that USD is your safer bet.

If you're looking for government work, or you know you want to work at a smaller firm, then with your numbers I think that Cal Western is probably the better choice considering your odds of getting at least some money there.

Both schools place well in San Diego, but USD definitely has an edge in the larger firms.  DLA, Cooley, Gordon & Rees, etc etc.

I chose Cal Western, and I'm happy with my selection.  I'm on law review, have won a few oral advocacy awards and have had an enjoyable time of things.  Plus, the faculty and administration are very very friendly and easy to interact with.  If you have any follow up questions, let me know.